ASIA/PAKISTAN - Radio Veritas Asia in Urdu celebrates 25 years
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – Radio Veritas in Urdu is readying to celebrate its 25 year anniversary: the celebrations will commence in August to commemorate its beginnings on 14 August 1987, and will culminate on 4 August 2012. This will be for the Church in Pakistan, one of the greatest opportunities for evangelisation through the media, in this instance the Catholic television program “Good News tv”.
Speaking to Fides, the Director of Radio Veritas in Urdu, Father John Shakir Nadeem, who is also Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Commission for Social Communications, recalled the merits of Archbishop Lawrence Saldanha of Lahore, the President of the Episcopal Conference, “who strongly willed and put in place all the measures necessary to create Radio Veritas and begin transmissions”.
“Today we seem blessed, in the way we are able to touch the hearts of our listeners”, among which are also faithful Muslims,” Fr Nadeem. “Through our programs we have been able to create a culture of love, forgiveness and fraternity.”
The Church of Pakistan is pleased and “thanks God for the gift of Radio Veritas in Urdu.” This is an opportunity, said the priest, to thank the Bishops, collaborators and all those who in recent years have contributed to the success of the initiative and transmissions, as well as to donors who provide the funds for the Radio's operations. Fr Nadeem concluded: “We pray to the Almighty that he may continue to give courage to continue our work for the local Church and for all humanity”. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 5/2/2011)
- 2014-11-25 - Christian tortured and killed while in police custody
- 2014-11-24 - Christian couple burned alive: the Supreme Court intervenes
- 2014-11-20 - Violence against minorities: the governor of Punjab meets religious leaders
- 2014-11-19 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – From the Bishops a "Magna Charta" to the government: to curb religious intolerance
- 2014-11-18 - Christian and Muslim leaders: it is urgent to amend the blasphemy law
- 2014-11-17 - Christian arrested for blasphemy; investigation into the murder of Kasur continues
- 2014-11-14 - Blasphemy in Pakistan, data on victims: who will pay off all the suffering?
- 2014-11-13 - Christian and Muslim leaders: justice and prayer for the couple burned alive
- 2014-11-12 - The state has given the St. Francis school back to the Church
- 2014-11-10 - Christians protest: "Punish the muggers of Kasur and repeal the blasphemy law"