ASIA/PAKISTAN - Radio Veritas Asia in Urdu celebrates 25 years
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – Radio Veritas in Urdu is readying to celebrate its 25 year anniversary: the celebrations will commence in August to commemorate its beginnings on 14 August 1987, and will culminate on 4 August 2012. This will be for the Church in Pakistan, one of the greatest opportunities for evangelisation through the media, in this instance the Catholic television program “Good News tv”.
Speaking to Fides, the Director of Radio Veritas in Urdu, Father John Shakir Nadeem, who is also Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Commission for Social Communications, recalled the merits of Archbishop Lawrence Saldanha of Lahore, the President of the Episcopal Conference, “who strongly willed and put in place all the measures necessary to create Radio Veritas and begin transmissions”.
“Today we seem blessed, in the way we are able to touch the hearts of our listeners”, among which are also faithful Muslims,” Fr Nadeem. “Through our programs we have been able to create a culture of love, forgiveness and fraternity.”
The Church of Pakistan is pleased and “thanks God for the gift of Radio Veritas in Urdu.” This is an opportunity, said the priest, to thank the Bishops, collaborators and all those who in recent years have contributed to the success of the initiative and transmissions, as well as to donors who provide the funds for the Radio's operations. Fr Nadeem concluded: “We pray to the Almighty that he may continue to give courage to continue our work for the local Church and for all humanity”. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 5/2/2011)
- 2014-09-17 - The Commission "Justice and Peace": stop the executioner, Pakistan must not go back in time
- 2014-09-11 - Christian family flees to save their daughters from forced conversion to Islam
- 2014-09-10 - Severe floods, Caritas sends volunteers
- 2014-09-09 - Postponed until October 16 next hearing for the Asia Bibi appeal
- 2014-09-08 - 9 September, date for next hearing in the trial of Asia Bibi
- 2014-09-08 - False accusations of blasphemy, later withdrawn, against 31 Christians in a Punjab village
- 2014-09-05 - Two Christian women abducted, forced to convert to Islam and marry Muslim men
- 2014-08-21 - Violence against minorities: a 12-year-old Christian girl raped by a gang
- 2014-08-20 - Christian leaders in Pakistan: "The international community must wake up"
- 2014-07-28 - "Terrorism and intolerance are the wounds of Pakistan"