ASIA/PAKISTAN - Radio Veritas Asia in Urdu celebrates 25 years
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – Radio Veritas in Urdu is readying to celebrate its 25 year anniversary: the celebrations will commence in August to commemorate its beginnings on 14 August 1987, and will culminate on 4 August 2012. This will be for the Church in Pakistan, one of the greatest opportunities for evangelisation through the media, in this instance the Catholic television program “Good News tv”.
Speaking to Fides, the Director of Radio Veritas in Urdu, Father John Shakir Nadeem, who is also Executive Secretary of the Episcopal Commission for Social Communications, recalled the merits of Archbishop Lawrence Saldanha of Lahore, the President of the Episcopal Conference, “who strongly willed and put in place all the measures necessary to create Radio Veritas and begin transmissions”.
“Today we seem blessed, in the way we are able to touch the hearts of our listeners”, among which are also faithful Muslims,” Fr Nadeem. “Through our programs we have been able to create a culture of love, forgiveness and fraternity.”
The Church of Pakistan is pleased and “thanks God for the gift of Radio Veritas in Urdu.” This is an opportunity, said the priest, to thank the Bishops, collaborators and all those who in recent years have contributed to the success of the initiative and transmissions, as well as to donors who provide the funds for the Radio's operations. Fr Nadeem concluded: “We pray to the Almighty that he may continue to give courage to continue our work for the local Church and for all humanity”. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 5/2/2011)
- 2015-09-04 - A court denies bail to some Christians arrested for blasphemy
- 2015-09-03 - Christian in prison on false charges of blasphemy after a private dispute
- 2015-08-31 - Christian couple lynched for blasphemy: the police accused of negligence
- 2015-08-29 - Five arrests for the attacks against churches in Lahore
- 2015-08-27 - Bishops: we need to protect children from sexual abuse
- 2015-08-25 - Asia Bibi case: her father will be able to visit her in prison
- 2015-08-24 - Religions committed to finding unity and justice
- 2015-08-20 - A Protestant Pastor and other Christians accused of blasphemy
- 2015-08-03 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Floods and monsoon rains continue to strike the country causing major damage to people and structures
- 2015-07-25 - ASIA/PAKISTAN – Young Christian woman abducted and forced into Islamic marriage