ASIA/PAKISTAN - Asia Bibi in isolation cell
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) – Asia Bibi, the Christian woman condemned to death accused of blasphemy and imprisoned in Sheikhpura jail for over a year and a half has been moved into an isolation cell. This was reported to Fides by Asia's husband, Ashiq Masih, who has just visited her. After receiving so many threats, and given the danger that Asia may be killed at any moment, the prison authorities in agreement with the government have finally decided to elevate security levels for her protection.
Now Asia is being held in an isolation cell, with two guards in view, while two telecameras are trained on her 24 hours a day. The food given to her is also strictly controlled. To avoid the risk of poisoning, raw food is given to her and she is allowed to cook the food for herself.
Asia, Ashiq tells Fides, “is still sad and worried for her children. I told her to trust in God and that we are doing everything to secure her freedom. I have also told her that all Christians and people of good will in Pakistan will pray for her on the World Day of Peace on 30 January.”
According to the Masihi Foundation, that is providing assistance to Asia'a family, “she is enjoying greater protection, but she will only be safe when she can leave the Country.” The Foundation is trying to organise a family visit for Asia in jail but awaits the necessary authorisation. Nothing new, but it is possible that she will be transferred to another prison. Ashiq refers to today's event for Asia Bibi in Italy, 26 January, as “a good sign and hope, especially for young people, who can learn the values of justice and tolerance.” (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/1/2011)
- 2013-05-22 ASIA/PAKISTAN - A Catholic student killed in the village of Kushpur
- 2013-05-21 ASIA/PAKISTAN - New Violence against Christians in South Punjab: appeal to politics
- 2013-05-20 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Pentecost for Christians in Pakistan: "United in diversity"
- 2013-05-15 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Damage to the church and bishop wounded in the attack in Quetta
- 2013-05-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Church: "Democracy strengthens: constructive dialogue with the new Premier"
- 2013-05-10 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Bishops' Appeal for the elections: "Vote for those who promote harmony"
- 2013-05-08 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Threats to a Christian NGO committed to a transparent policy and the participation of women
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Every year, 87,000 children die from preventable diseases
- 2013-04-22 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Caritas in Quetta to help the earthquake victims in Baluchistan
- 2013-04-18 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christian youth killed by a Muslim after a fight: the police is covering the murderer