AFRICA/SENEGAL - Bishop Jacques Sarr of Thiés dies; Particular commitment to interreligious dialogue and self-sufficiency of the Church in Africa
Thiès (Agenzia Fides) – After a brief illness Bishop Jacques Sarr of Thiés died on 18 January at age 76. As communicated by the national board of the Pontifical Mission Society in Germany, Missio München, he was admitted to a clinic in Senegal. “With Bishop Jacques Sarr we lose a very trustworthy and warm partner,” said Father Eric Englert (OSA), Chairman of Missio München, expressing his sorrow at the death of the Senegalese Bishop.
For 24 years Bishop Sarr was part of the governing body of the diocese of Thiès, east of the Senegalese capital Dakar and he has been chosen to be the central figure of the 2011 campaign for the missionary month of October for the Pontifical Mission Societies in Germany. He said in a recent meeting that he considered this task, “an honour and a commitment.”
Among his priorities Bishop Sarr counted interreligious dialogue and working for the self-sufficiency of the Church in Africa. In collaboration with the Pontifical Mission he also initiated a formation program for priests, religious and laity in his diocese.
He always considered the problems of the Church not far from the reality of the times: “The challenges of the Church are the same as those which confront society,” he loved to say. (MS) (Agenzia Fides, 21/01/2011)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The phenomenon of the 'talibé' continues to worsen: 20,000 every day in Dakar alone
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Two purifiers will allow 1,800 people to have drinking water
- 2012-12-10 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Cardinal Sarr remembers the Caliph of Tidjaniyya, "man of respect, man of God"
- 2012-10-12 AFRICA/SENEGAL - More than 160 graves desecrated in two Catholic cemeteries, bronze crosses stolen
- 2012-08-29 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Church’s appeal to help the victims of the torrential rains
- 2012-06-20 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Emergency food crisis: 800 000 people are undernourished, millions of children at risk
- 2012-04-24 AFRICA/SENEGAL - Ziguinchor celebrating the ordination of its fourth Bishop
- 2012-03-26 AFRICA/SENEGAL - The recognition of Macky Sall’s victory by outgoing President Wade: may he be an example for all of Africa
- 2012-03-13 AFRICA/SENEGAL - "Justice and Peace," asks an effort for a second round of peaceful elections and without fraud
- 2012-02-23 AFRICA/SENEGAL - On the eve of the vote the atmosphere is tense, the Church offers a third of electoral observers