OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Five days of meetings, spirituality and celebration for 520 young people in Vanimo
Vanimo (Agenzia Fides) – A great rally of young Catholics concluded this morning, Saturday, 15 January, in the coastal area of the diocese of Vanimo, in the St John Maria Vianney Minor Seminary. According to information received by Fides, 520 young people from villages in the four parishes along the coast, accompanied by their parish priests, who alternately presided over the morning celebrations of the Holy Eucharist, experienced a life of community for five days, consisting of listening to the Word of God, of prayer, and of communal reflection, guided by Bishop Cesare Bonivento of Vanimo, by Vicar General Mons. Thomas Tomy, by Father Augustine and by the team from the diocesan Centre for pro-life and fighting AIDS. The youth enjoyed the evenings with songs, plays and local dances they prepared and enacted. On this occasion for the first time the diocesan youth Olympics were held. The success of the event is thanks to the work of the organizing committee, led by the Bishop, and also to the association of Catholic Women, who were busy in the kitchen sharing the fruits and vegetables of the various villages. The young people requested that there be a follow-up to this meeting, so a Diocesan Youth Committee will provide continuity to the initiative. In particular, the youth expressed a desire for continuous formation at the diocesan and parish level. (ST/SL) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2011)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-05-13 - Letter of Bishops: "The evil of capital punishment"
- 2015-05-11 - Bishops' Letter for the "Pacific Games": Sport, a tool for growth
- 2015-05-05 - Consecrated Life has the responsibility of "waking up a world" asleep in comfortable compromises
- 2015-03-31 - Cases of multidrug resistant tuberculosis increase and there is little accessibility to healthcare
- 2015-03-27 - "WeCare!" Foundation: support to vulnerable women and marginalized children and young people
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"