AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Jorge Urosa-Savino fears Venezuela is moving towards a dictatorship
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) – Cardinal Jorge Urosa-Savino, Archbishop of Caracas, has expressed concern that a dictatorship is being established in Venezuela. According to local press reports, the Archbishop of Caracas has stressed the importance of all Venezuelans to work for peace, whatever place they occupy in society. But he also expressed his fear about the destination towards which the country is heading.
The Cardinal, referring to the strong criticism expressed by President Hugo Chavez to the confrontations by the Church in Venezuela, said on television: “If someone gets angry because the Bishops note that there are political prisoners, if someone feels offended because we ask to respect the right to information, we are very sorry, but this is a postulate of the Constitution.” The Archbishop of Caracas expressed concern that Venezuela is moving towards a dictatorship with these words: “He who is at the wheel of the Government must take into account the great responsibility he has, historically and before God. If they want to impose a totalitarian dictatorship, this would certainly be a terrible thing for Venezuela.”
The Catholic Church has expressed its deep concern following the recent work of the National Assembly, which approved 22 laws in just two weeks to consolidate the socialist system before the expiry of his term on 4 January, 2011. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/12/2010)
- 2013-06-12 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - "The poor cannot wait," meeting of Caritas Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Maronite Patriarch Rai: "Venezuela is in good hands"
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Urgent mediation of the church, the country still in violence for political clashes
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Infant malnutrition remains a serious problem
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The church offers itself as a guarantor of peace before the violence in the country
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Nicolas Maduro new Venezuelan President
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - " Abstention is not conducive to the people": the Bishops invite to vote on April 14
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Poverty in the country is three times higher than that of Chile and Uruguay
- 2013-03-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - A Day dedicated to Girls and Indigenous Children
- 2013-03-09 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa in Rome at the Mass for Chavez: "Look ahead and seek peace"