AFRICA/SUDAN - “We fear LRA massacres at Christmas and during the referendum in January,” says the Bishop of Tombura-Yambo
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - “There are at least four villages in Western Equatoria where people live in real fear of new attacks by the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA),” Bishop Edward Hiiboro Kussala of Tombura-Yambo, southern Sudan, tells Fides. Several aid agencies have issued warnings in recent days about possible attacks by the Ugandan guerilla group which controls a vast area stretching from south Sudan to the south-eastern Central African Republic, passing through the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
“We fear attacks both during the Christmas period and in early January, when a referendum on the independence of southern Sudan is to be held,” said Bishop Kussala. “Right now the population is increasingly concerned about possible violence by the LRA. So-called “Arrow Boys” have been set up as self-defense militias, armed only, however, with bows and arrows.”
Bishop Julian Andavo Mbia of Isiro-Niangara, Equatoria province, in north-east DRC, tells Fides that in his region, “the alarm is issued in the face of possible attacks by the LRA as a form of prevention. At the moment we have no concrete evidence of actual attacks by the Ugandan guerrillas in our diocese.” At Christmas time in 2008, in a series of attacks in some villages in the province of Equatoria, LRA guerrillas killed about 900 people and abducted another 700. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2010)
- 2013-06-08 AFRICA/SUDAN - Sudanese air force raid on the Nuba Mountains on the second anniversary of the war
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/SUDAN - 25 victims in the umpteenth bombing in the Nuba Mountains
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Chadian troops entered in Darfur, accusing a rebel movement
- 2013-04-05 AFRICA/SUDAN - The continuous bombing on villages in the Nuba Mountains aims to drive out the civilians
- 2013-03-13 AFRICA/SUDAN - The oil deal between Sudan and South Sudan is a prerequisite for the implementation of the agreements of 27 September
- 2013-02-21 AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/SUDAN - Talks between Sudan and South Sudan have been postponed
- 2013-01-24 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Stop the war in South Kordofan and Blue Nile" is what 350 African civil societies ask for
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa