OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Rebirth of “Radio St Gabriel", authentic voice of the Church
Vanimo (Agenzia Fides) – The diocesan radio stations are spreading the authentic voice of the Catholic Church in Papua New Guinea according to the Bishops of Papua New Guinea, informing Fides that the service “is being strengthened so that the voice of Church can reach all the ends of the forest.”
In fact, “Radio St Gabriel” has resumed broadcasting in the Diocese of Vanimo, which by the end of December will be heard not only from Vanimo, but also from remote villages in the area. For this reason, local priests have launched a campaign to give a radio capable of picking up the signal from Vanimo, to every catechist responsible for pastoral care in the villages of the forest. The radio is simple to use and able to convey messages “as they are”, without mediation or interpretation that can often distort them. The President of the Episcopal Conference, Bishop Francesco Panfilo, SDB, speaks often on national “Radio Maria” and on the various diocesan radio stations.
Recently, Bishop Caesar Bonivento, PIME, of Vanimo Papuan responded to the newspaper “Post Courier” that had stated “the yes of the Church to the use of condoms”, taking some of the Pope's words written in the book-interview recently published, “Light of the World”. The Bishop explained the Church's teaching about it, confirming and not contradicting Pope Benedict XVI.
Bishop Odo of Aitape raised his voice from the radio frequencies in his diocese, noting the opposition to a bill that would legalize female prostitution and homosexuality. For this reason, at a rally in Vanimo recently, many political and religious leaders have given a clear “no” to what is contrary to the human dignity and culture of the people of Papua, invoking the defence of the dignity of women. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2010)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"
- 2013-11-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The family at the center of the Church's pastoral plan for the next five years
- 2013-11-06 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific questions itself about the new evangelization
- 2013-11-05 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
- 2013-08-27 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Church calls for authentic alliance with the State, especially with regards to social policy
- 2013-07-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The religious, voice and prophetic action in society
- 2013-07-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church deplores the agreement between Australia and Papua New Guinea on refugees
- 2013-07-16 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Prohibit non-Christian faiths? For the Church, it would be absurd
- 2013-07-09 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Teenage pregnancies: the Church is alone in the prevention