AMERICA/COSTA RICA - A Catholic radio network for Central America
Alajuela (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Central America decided, at the Plenary Assembly held in Costa Rica, to create a network of Catholic radio stations in the region. “There are 60 radio stations broadcasting in Central America and they fulfill a key role in the public relations of the life of the Church,” said Bishop Alvaro Ramazzini of San Marcos (Guatemala). “These broadcasts will help in the fight against crime and corruption and are invaluable when it comes to humanitarian aid and human development. All this is possible because the media are promoters of human values,” he added.
Bishop Alvaro Ramazzini has encouraged all priests in Central America to invite the faithful to listen to the radio broadcasts in their homes and, as far as possible, to create a place for listening in their parishes. At the same time he pointed out that this task and this service have costs for maintaining Catholic programs to be broadcast. Therefore the creation of this “network” is presented as a solution. The issue must be presented so that this network of stations may establish itself as a union, where each can help each other with technical and financial support.
Bishop Romulo Emiliani, Bishop of San Pedro Sula, explained that “when there is a radio station and the owner is an entrepreneur, it is not always easy to assume an ethical commitment. In this instance we can suggest, but not impose. But when we are the owners, then we can face the challenge of Aparecida.” For his part Bishop Gregorio Rosa, Auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, said that “the challenge that Aparecida proposes is knowing the digital culture and invites us to use appropriate language together with the new technologies.
These statements, reported by the Episcopal Conference of Costa Rica and by local agencies, were made in Alajuela, Costa Rica, where the annual meeting of the Bishops' Secretariat of Central America (SEDAC) was held, 22 to 26 November. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2010)
- 2013-01-29 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Eco Catolico, the first weekly in the Country has been announcing truth and justice for 130 years
- 2012-12-15 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - "The attack on life harms development and peace," says the Apostolic Nuncio
- 2012-12-10 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - The tragic death of the Apostolic Nuncio in the Ivory Coast, Mgr. Madtha, a man of peace
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Worrying storms are beating down on the country
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Historical record of poverty: 1,140,000 people and 1 child/adolescent out of 3
- 2012-10-26 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Every year violence causes the death of 80 000 children in Latin America
- 2012-04-27 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The first technical training course addressed to Colombian refugees has started
- 2012-03-15 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE-Hospitality, education and the living of children and young Ivorians to rebuild the country
- 2012-02-14 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Family and Youth, support for evangelization in the Bishops' message
- 2012-01-25 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - RECOWA Assembly: "a sign of the victory of the Resurrected", said Cardinal Sarr