AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Uncertainty in Birao, Central African City, in the middle of clashes between the army and rebels
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - “The only information is that from the national radio. What seems certain is that the crisis is not over yet because both the government and the guerrillas say that they retain control of the city”, Fides was told by Bishop Firmin Gbagoua, Vicar General of Bambari Diocese, having jurisdiction over the prefecture of Vakaga (in the north-east of the Central African Republic), whose capital, Birao, was attacked by rebels from the 'Convention des Patriotes pour la Justice et la Paix' (CPJP). On 24 November, a score of rebels took control of Birao. Last weekend, the military government, backed by the armed forces of neighbouring Chad attacked the city even using aviation and artillery. In turn, the men of the CPJP would have been supported by Chadian rebel groups who found refuge in neighbouring Sudanese Darfur.
“Most of the inhabitants have fled and many are in the forest. We have initiated contact with humanitarian organizations operating in the area to ascertain the needs of the displaced,” said Bishop Gbagoua. Communications with the area are almost impossible because the facilities of the mobile telephone network were destroyed or damaged.
The CPJP, unlike other Central African rebel groups, did not sign any peace agreement with the government in Bangui. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2010)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Central African Republic is likely to become a home for Al Qaeda," says a missionary
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Planned destruction of Christian churches" the Bishops denounce
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "What are the true intentions of Seleka towards us?" Ask the Bishops
- 2013-05-03 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The looting of the rebels continues, another church desecrated
- 2013-04-25 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - A month after the conquest of Bangui rebels continue to vex the population
- 2013-04-19 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - The Central African Countries promise another 2000 men to ensure safety
- 2013-04-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "More than a thousand people have sought refuge in the hospital" says the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-16 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The already poor population is stripped of everything," denounces the Bishop of Bangui
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Chaotic situation, who can must escape"
- 2013-04-13 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA- Still chaos but the new authorities carry out some steps to stabilize the situation