AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The Bishops of Nicaragua attend SEDAC meeting in Costa Rica
Alajuela (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Nicaragua are in Alajuela, Costa Rica, for the annual meeting of the Bishops' Secretariat of Central America (SEDAC), held from 22 to 26 November, where they attended a press conference in which the President of Costa Rica, Laura Chinchilla, also participated.
In a statement issued to Fides by the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, it is understood that Archbishop Leopoldo Brenes of Managua and President of SEDAC thanked the President for her gesture of agreeing to welcome all the Central American Bishops united in Costa Rica.
Archbishop Brenes stressed the need to “work on the demarcation of borders, reactivating the bipartisan Commission that for several years existed between Nicaragua and Costa Rica, and which worked on this issue” and that Costa Rica suspended unilaterally.
Laura Chinchilla, President of Costa Rica, thanked the Bishops of Nicaragua for their visit, and recalled Archbishop Brenes' homily from the previous Sunday, held in the Cathedral of Managua. She also noted that “Costa Rica considers that it can put an end to this conflict through negotiation and dialogue, freeing the area from military.” She clearly indicated that “Costa Rica has no aspirations for the San Juan River, which we have always said is in Nicaragua.” Finally, she reminded the Nicaraguans living and working in Costa Rica, that they “may live and work in peace in our country.”
The annual meeting of the Bishops' Secretariat of Central America (SEDAC) is particularly important during these tense times between the two countries due to the presence of soldiers in a border zone (see Fides, 16 and 17/11/2010).
The Nicaraguan delegation of Bishops led by Archbishop Leopoldo Brenes, Archbishop of Managua, and President of SEDAC, is composed of Bishop Jorge Solórzano, Bishop of Granada, Secretary of SEDAC; by Archbishop Silvio Baez, Auxiliary Bishop of Managua; by Bishop Socrates René Sandig of Juigalpa; by Bishop Pablo Smith of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields, by Bishop David Zywiec, Auxiliary Bishop of the Apostolic Vicariate of Bluefields; by Monsignor Carlos Enrique Herrera, Bishop of Jinotega. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2010)
- 2015-10-01 - Hydroelectric project: communities meet the Bishop to deal with the problem
- 2015-09-28 - A canteen for poor children who go to school
- 2015-08-04 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA –La Negrita celebrations: the local Catholic Church calls for intervention in favour of the family
- 2015-03-02 - Unexpected increase of cases of rotavirus in children: a thousand a week
- 2014-12-23 - Entrepreneurial initiatives for poor women
- 2014-12-17 - The campaign against hunger begins again, especially to help poor families
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – Poverty and violence afflict 34% of Costa Rica’s children
- 2014-09-09 - Solidarity initiative to prevent child abuse and maltreatment
- 2014-07-23 - The chicungunya virus continues to alarm Latin American Countries
- 2014-06-12 - More than 47 thousand children suffer violence and are forced to work