AMERICA/BRAZIL - Yet another priest assassinated in Brazil; from Sao Luis, ordained this September
Sao Luis (Agenzia Fides) – Father Bernardo Muniz Rabelo Amaral, aged 28, Assistant Pastor in the city of Humberto de Campos (about 120 km from Maranhão), passed away on the evening of Saturday, 20 November in Sao Luis, the victim of a mugging. According to findings released by the Archdiocese of Sao Luis, around 3 p.m. On 20 November, Fr Bernardo was in his car when he was hit in the neck and chest by bullets fired by a man who had asked him for a ride. The man in question then took the car, along with over 400 Brazilian dollars, and the priest's cell phone. When he was rescued, the priest was still conscious. He was taken to the hospital in Humberto de Campos and later transferred to Sao Luis, however he did not survive the severe wounds he had suffered and passed away around 9 pm on Saturday, 20 November.
According to information released by family members, Fr Bernardo was returning from a village in the Quebra Anzol area, on his way to Achui, in the city of Humberto de Campos, where he was to attend a parish meeting.
In addition to Fr Bernardo Muniz Rabelo Amaral, in 2010 the Archdiocese of Sao Luis also lost seminarian Mario Dayvit, another victim of a robbery. He was killed in front of his house, in downtown Maranhão.
Fr Bernardo Muniz Rabelo Amaral was born in Morros, on 12 January 1982. He is the son of Osmar Lima Amaral and Maria de Fatima Rabelo Amaral. He was baptized on 24 June 1982 in the city of Morros. The fifth of six children, he was ordained a deacon on 21 February 2010 in the Cathedral of Our Lady of Victory and a priest on 5 September this year, in the city of Axixá. A week after his priestly ordination, he was appointed parish vicar in the city of Humberto de Campos. The Archdiocese of Sao Luis, represented by Archbishop José Belisario da Silva, and on behalf of all priests and seminarians, expressed his deep sorrow. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/11/2010)
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization