AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Bishops call for peace in tensions with Nicaragua: “Violence has never achieved anything but destruction”
San Jose (Agenzia Fides) – The Bishops of Costa Rica has called the country's government and the population to maintain open channels of dialogue and negotiations and prevent any manifestation of violence as a solution to the border conflict with Nicaragua (see Fides 16/11/2010) . "We urge the Government to continue the route marked by the tradition of our civilization, that is, the relentless pursuit of conflict resolution through diplomatic means, dialogue, and respect for international law," said the statement issued by the Bishops' Conference, a copy of which was sent to Fides.
"Similarly, we appeal to the people of Costa Rica to unite in support of our core values, such as peace, civilization, fraternity, and respect for life (...). Violence has never achieved anything but destruction," indicates that the document signed by the Archbishop of San José and President of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Hugo Barrantes, and Archbishop Angel San Casimiro Fernández, Bishop of Alajuela and President of the Commission for Pastoral/Social Ministry of Caritas.
According to sources in Costa Rica, Nicaragua's troops have been stationed on an island in the San Juan River, near the border, in an area that is part of Costa Rica. They are also causing major damage to areas near the river, which is being dredged by orders of the Government of Nicaragua. "Our people, neighbors, and brothers not only share a common border but they also share a common story. There are many common bonds and aspirations that unite the two nations," the bishops affirm. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 17/11/2010)
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - From December, all the parishes will reflect on the Bishops’ document in view of elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Alert concerning dengue cases among children under 4 years of age: since 2013 1,500 have been infected
- 2013-11-14 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - " It is time to act!": Families in defense of life, the first human right
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Poverty rate remains constant and alarming
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The Church offers criteria to elect the next President: a document is being prepared
- 2013-08-24 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Violence against children: an "epidemic" that continues to spread
- 2013-07-03 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - 4,350 'tetra pak' desks for school children in Alajuela
- 2013-01-29 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Eco Catolico, the first weekly in the Country has been announcing truth and justice for 130 years
- 2012-12-15 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - "The attack on life harms development and peace," says the Apostolic Nuncio