AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Bishops call for peace in tensions with Nicaragua: “Violence has never achieved anything but destruction”
San Jose (Agenzia Fides) – The Bishops of Costa Rica has called the country's government and the population to maintain open channels of dialogue and negotiations and prevent any manifestation of violence as a solution to the border conflict with Nicaragua (see Fides 16/11/2010) . "We urge the Government to continue the route marked by the tradition of our civilization, that is, the relentless pursuit of conflict resolution through diplomatic means, dialogue, and respect for international law," said the statement issued by the Bishops' Conference, a copy of which was sent to Fides.
"Similarly, we appeal to the people of Costa Rica to unite in support of our core values, such as peace, civilization, fraternity, and respect for life (...). Violence has never achieved anything but destruction," indicates that the document signed by the Archbishop of San José and President of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Hugo Barrantes, and Archbishop Angel San Casimiro Fernández, Bishop of Alajuela and President of the Commission for Pastoral/Social Ministry of Caritas.
According to sources in Costa Rica, Nicaragua's troops have been stationed on an island in the San Juan River, near the border, in an area that is part of Costa Rica. They are also causing major damage to areas near the river, which is being dredged by orders of the Government of Nicaragua. "Our people, neighbors, and brothers not only share a common border but they also share a common story. There are many common bonds and aspirations that unite the two nations," the bishops affirm. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 17/11/2010)
- 2013-01-29 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Eco Catolico, the first weekly in the Country has been announcing truth and justice for 130 years
- 2012-12-15 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - "The attack on life harms development and peace," says the Apostolic Nuncio
- 2012-12-10 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - The tragic death of the Apostolic Nuncio in the Ivory Coast, Mgr. Madtha, a man of peace
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Worrying storms are beating down on the country
- 2012-11-07 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Historical record of poverty: 1,140,000 people and 1 child/adolescent out of 3
- 2012-10-26 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Every year violence causes the death of 80 000 children in Latin America
- 2012-04-27 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The first technical training course addressed to Colombian refugees has started
- 2012-03-15 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE-Hospitality, education and the living of children and young Ivorians to rebuild the country
- 2012-02-14 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Family and Youth, support for evangelization in the Bishops' message
- 2012-01-25 AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - RECOWA Assembly: "a sign of the victory of the Resurrected", said Cardinal Sarr