AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Bishops call for peace in tensions with Nicaragua: “Violence has never achieved anything but destruction”
San Jose (Agenzia Fides) – The Bishops of Costa Rica has called the country's government and the population to maintain open channels of dialogue and negotiations and prevent any manifestation of violence as a solution to the border conflict with Nicaragua (see Fides 16/11/2010) . "We urge the Government to continue the route marked by the tradition of our civilization, that is, the relentless pursuit of conflict resolution through diplomatic means, dialogue, and respect for international law," said the statement issued by the Bishops' Conference, a copy of which was sent to Fides.
"Similarly, we appeal to the people of Costa Rica to unite in support of our core values, such as peace, civilization, fraternity, and respect for life (...). Violence has never achieved anything but destruction," indicates that the document signed by the Archbishop of San José and President of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop Hugo Barrantes, and Archbishop Angel San Casimiro Fernández, Bishop of Alajuela and President of the Commission for Pastoral/Social Ministry of Caritas.
According to sources in Costa Rica, Nicaragua's troops have been stationed on an island in the San Juan River, near the border, in an area that is part of Costa Rica. They are also causing major damage to areas near the river, which is being dredged by orders of the Government of Nicaragua. "Our people, neighbors, and brothers not only share a common border but they also share a common story. There are many common bonds and aspirations that unite the two nations," the bishops affirm. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 17/11/2010)
- 2015-11-25 - Cuban immigrants blocked at the border between Costa Rica and Nicaragua: "a humanitarian issue"
- 2015-10-28 - Violence against children in the age group between 1 and 3
- 2015-10-01 - Hydroelectric project: communities meet the Bishop to deal with the problem
- 2015-09-28 - A canteen for poor children who go to school
- 2015-08-04 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA –La Negrita celebrations: the local Catholic Church calls for intervention in favour of the family
- 2015-03-02 - Unexpected increase of cases of rotavirus in children: a thousand a week
- 2014-12-23 - Entrepreneurial initiatives for poor women
- 2014-12-17 - The campaign against hunger begins again, especially to help poor families
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/COSTA RICA – Poverty and violence afflict 34% of Costa Rica’s children
- 2014-09-09 - Solidarity initiative to prevent child abuse and maltreatment