AFRICA/CONGO DR - Parish pastor in Kanyabayonga, eastern DRC, killed
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) – Fr. Christian Bakulene, Pastor of the Parish of Saint Jean-Baptiste in Kanyabayonga, south of Butembo, in the territory of Lubero (North Kivu), eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, was murdered on November 8th.
The priest was on a motorcycle with a friend, returning to his parish, near the village of Mapere, when two armed men in military uniform blocked his way. Before Fr. Bakulene had time to park the motorcycle, one of the two soldiers shot him with several rounds of gunfire. The friend of the priest was unhurt and the two killers did not steal anything. According to local press, it seems the assassination was intended to frighten the priests working in the area. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2010)
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Tensions in North Kivu on the eve of Ban Ki-moon’s visit
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23