AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic radio journalists of eastern Africa denounce government interference
Arusha (Agenzia Fides) - Catholic radio managers from Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania have decried increasing government harassment and interference despite constitutional guarantees on their freedom.
This is what emerged from the conclusion of the workshop on the role of the Catholic radio station in building peace in eastern Africa, held in Arusha, Tanzania. The event was organized by the Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa with the support of the US Catholic foundation, Raskob Foundation for Catholic Activities (see Fides 20/10/2010).
“We endeavour to train our journalists on new technologies, peace journalism, and to improve professionalism in our radio stations,” they resolved in a communiqué at the end of the workshop.
They highlighted the lack of professionalism and poor remuneration of journalists in many media houses, which has sometimes fuelled conflict and made some of them easy prey to manipulation by political forces.
“We appeal to both our church and civil societies to support and inspire the spirit of dialogue, unity and love among our people and help safeguard the right of the public to free speech and expression which includes the freedom of the media,” the journalists said.
At the end of the workshop, they also resolved to hold more workshops and meetings to build solidarity and networking among Catholic Radio stations within the member countries and in the region. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2010)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery