EUROPE/PORTUGAL - Message from Bishop of Setubal for World Mission Sunday: Catholics should not think Christianity is irrelevant for society
Setubal (Agenzia Fides) – "Catholics should make a greater effort in the proclamation of Christianity," writes the Bishop of Setubal, Portugal, Bishop Gilberto Delio Goncalves Canavarro dos Reis, in his message for World Mission Sunday, Sunday, October 24. The bishop warns Catholics of the danger of thinking that Christianity is irrelevant to society or that only priests and religious are responsible for its dissemination. He also urges the faithful not to abandon the proclamation of the Christian message "for fear of offending religious freedom." Among the temptations to be avoided, Bishop Gonçalves Canavarro dos Reis refers to the possibility of thinking “that people are already evangelized.”
For the Bishop of Setubal, the believer that does not bear witness to Christian love, "in the way he lives the Word," reveals that his relationship with God is still "too weak in his heart." Thus, he launches an appeal to the Catholics, asking that they live World Mission Sunday “with enthusiasm,” pondering the "urgency" of the announcement of the Christian message and their responsibility in this task. The prelate recalled that in the 35-year life of the Diocese of Setubal there have been "tireless evangelists" and finally, he asks the faithful to contribute economically to the evangelization of mission territories.” (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2010)
- 2015-10-16 - 115 institutions ready to accept refugees
- 2014-06-16 - Cardinal Filoni concludes the jubilee celebrations for the 500th anniversary of the Diocese of Funchal
- 2014-06-11 - After 500 years, the Diocese of Funchal relaunches the commitment to be "Church in Mission"
- 2014-01-21 - The whole Church is involved in the problem of migration
- 2013-08-10 - National Migration Week, an opportunity to express faith and charity
- 2012-12-12 - Recognition of Parliament to Caritas, for the protection of social rights and the fight against poverty
- 2012-10-30 - Catholic organizations denounce the social regression and the increase of poverty
- 2011-10-05 - Volunteer Missionary: more than 1,130 youth and adults involved this year in carrying out projects in 4 continents
- 2011-09-29 - Solidarity, forgiveness, sharing: fourth national meeting of young people sponsored by the SVD
- 2011-08-18 - In the Year of Voluntary, the National Missionary Days on "Voluntary work and Mission"