AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic radio stations working for peace: seminar in Arusha
Arusha (Agenzia Fides) - "Reading the signs of the times, the peace and tranquillity of our society has been threatened by the many wars and political instability," said Fr. Simon Tengesi, the Vicar General for the Archdiocese of Arusha, at the opening of a workshop for Catholic radio workers in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania, taking place in the Tanzanian city. The workshop will conclude on October 22.
Fr. Tengesi, who spoke on behalf of Archbishop Josephat Lebulu of Arusha, said that the many conflicts in the region had become a challenge to the Catholic Church which is forced to integrate conflict mitigation mechanisms in its pastoral duties. The Vicar General of Arusha urged media practitioners to commit themselves to be instruments for peace.
According to the CISA News Agency of Nairobi, the workshop was organized by the AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa) Communications Department with the support of the Raskob Fooundation for Catholic Activities, a US based funding agency.
In his welcome address, Fr. Chrisantus Ndaga, the AMECEA Communications Secretary, said that the workshop is one of the AMECEA Secretariat’s strategies for the Church in Eastern Africa to start a close collaboration in addressing various issues of common concern in the region.
Fr. Ndaga asked the Catholic media practitioners from these countries to help the people in the region to make the right decisions in promoting peace and to identify the negative effects of conflicts and violence in the region.
The AMECEA Communications Secretary also asked them to assist Church leaders in the fight against corruption, greed, ethnocentricism, poverty, and hunger. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 20/10/2010)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery