AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic radio stations working for peace: seminar in Arusha
Arusha (Agenzia Fides) - "Reading the signs of the times, the peace and tranquillity of our society has been threatened by the many wars and political instability," said Fr. Simon Tengesi, the Vicar General for the Archdiocese of Arusha, at the opening of a workshop for Catholic radio workers in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania, taking place in the Tanzanian city. The workshop will conclude on October 22.
Fr. Tengesi, who spoke on behalf of Archbishop Josephat Lebulu of Arusha, said that the many conflicts in the region had become a challenge to the Catholic Church which is forced to integrate conflict mitigation mechanisms in its pastoral duties. The Vicar General of Arusha urged media practitioners to commit themselves to be instruments for peace.
According to the CISA News Agency of Nairobi, the workshop was organized by the AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa) Communications Department with the support of the Raskob Fooundation for Catholic Activities, a US based funding agency.
In his welcome address, Fr. Chrisantus Ndaga, the AMECEA Communications Secretary, said that the workshop is one of the AMECEA Secretariat’s strategies for the Church in Eastern Africa to start a close collaboration in addressing various issues of common concern in the region.
Fr. Ndaga asked the Catholic media practitioners from these countries to help the people in the region to make the right decisions in promoting peace and to identify the negative effects of conflicts and violence in the region.
The AMECEA Communications Secretary also asked them to assist Church leaders in the fight against corruption, greed, ethnocentricism, poverty, and hunger. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 20/10/2010)
- 2013-05-10 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Ban on religious hate speech" interfaith commitment after the attack in Arusha
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/TANZANIA – Attack in Arusha: the testimony of the Apostolic Nuncio to Fides
- 2013-05-06 AFRICA/TANZANIA - "Let us wait to have more information before speaking out about the attack in Arusha"
- 2013-02-26 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Music to promote tolerance, but Christians feel under fire
- 2013-02-20 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Today funeral of Catholic priest killed last Sunday
- 2013-02-18 ARICA/TANZANIA - Islamist extremist groups warn Christians: “The coming Easter will be one of disaster”
- 2013-01-03 AFRICA/TANZANIA -The priest’s health condition, who was injured at Christmas on the island of Zanzibar, is improving
- 2012-10-26 AFRICA/TANZANIA - The Government is doing everything possible to maintain peaceful coexistence between religions
- 2012-09-11 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Today the 1st Integrated Meeting for the Pastoral Care of the Road/Street for the Continent of Africa and Madagascar
- 2012-08-31 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Rural clinics to save the lives of many mothers and their unborn