AFRICA/CHAD - Missionary Bishop launches appeal for Africa: “Stop taking advantage of riches without thinking of the welfare of Africans.”
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - “50 years after the 'Year of Africa' (1960), when many African countries became independent, it is time to ask whether the population of the continent should have to continue living in anguish and fear of death on account of the innumerable riches of its land. The riches, because of human greed, have turned from blessing into curse for the local population." This is the appeal launched through Fides by Bishop Michele Russo of Doba, Chad.
"After 50 years of uncontrolled exploitation, with the complicity of local governments and indifference towards the African people and their future, I think it's time to become aware of these facts. The natural wealth of Africa should be used to build the future of the daughters and sons of the continent," said Bishop Russo.
“Offering a possible development of African countries also means putting an end to the sad phenomenon that arouses strong alarm in Europe, of many young Africans who risk the perils of desert and sea to travel to the West, often in order to lead a hellish life, as many struggle to adapt to the European lifestyle," added the Bishop of Doba.
"So we have a common interest, Africans and Europeans, in using African resources to construct infrastructures that would allow the people of the continent to live in peace, to have a job, and to build their own future," concluded Bishop Russo. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/06/2010)
- 2015-06-18 - Chadian aircraft raid in Nigeria against Boko Haram in retaliation to the attacks of N'Djamena
- 2014-11-18 - A child dies every 20 seconds from preventable and treatable causes
- 2014-05-26 - Thousands of displaced children in the Central African Republic left without education
- 2014-03-27 - "We must choose between corruption and the generosity of the Christian faith": Message for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Pala
- 2014-01-30 - Christians and Muslims pray together for peace in Chad and Central Africa
- 2013-12-04 - Consecration of the cathedral of Mongo
- 2013-11-06 - "A school, a life" thousands of children without education condemned to poverty
- 2013-10-22 - AFRICA/CHAD – 75 years of the presence of the Capuchin Minor Friars in Chad and Central Africa
- 2013-07-19 - Emergency refugees, mostly children orphaned or separated from their parents
- 2013-01-02 - Mgr. Russo can return to Chad and guide the diocese of Doba