ASIA/MALAYSIA - Government tells Christians: “Say 'Yahweh' instead of 'Allah'”
Kuala Lumpur (Agenzia Fides) – Several representatives from the Malaysian government, such as Minister Idris Jala, a Christian, are visiting the Christian communities in Malaysia, trying to convince Christian citizens to abandon the term "Allah" and use "Yahweh" in the texts in the liturgy and in publications.
The intent is part of the ongoing dispute between the Christian and Muslim communities, which began in recent months with a lawsuit involving the Catholic newspaper “The Herald.” With the sentence of December 31, 2009, the High Court of Justice upheld the right of "The Herald" to use the word "Allah" to refer to God. The term "Allah" is, in fact, the only existing word in the Bahasha Malaysia language used to refer to God.
The Christian community does not currently seem willing to accept the proposal of using the Hebrew word "Yahweh." Reverend Thomas Philips, a Christian leader of the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Taoism, an organization involved in interreligious dialogue, told Fides: "The faithful will continue to use the word Allah. It is a sacred right that affects the freedom of expression. Every person who speaks a language has the right to use all the words of that language, without charges or limitations. The issue will be discussed in the Interreligious Committee formed by the government (see Fides 17/9/2010). We are working with the spirit of understanding to find just solutions to matters affecting the religious sphere. This also applies to the controversy over the use of the word Allah. We are confident that a common solution can be reached for the good of the nation and people of all faiths." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 01/10/2010)
- 2014-02-10 - Civil and religious leaders’ appeal: a new year in the sign of harmony
- 2014-01-20 - "Allah" issue: burning Fr. Andrew’s portrait is equivalent "to an attack against Christians"
- 2014-01-09 - "Allah" issue: more than 100 complaints to the Director of the Catholic weekly Herald
- 2013-11-27 - Use of the word "Allah": UN's appeal to the government, in the name of freedom of expression and religion
- 2013-10-23 - The Premier: "Christians in Borneo can use the term Allah"; the Bishops criticize the "misinformed judges"
- 2013-10-19 - The Government: the judgment on "Allah" only applies to the weekly Herald, not the Bible and the liturgy
- 2013-10-14 - The Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur: "On the word Allah, a politicized case: the term will continue to be used in liturgies"
- 2013-10-14 - Use of the word "Allah": appeal verdict unfavorable to Christians . "It violates religious freedom"
- 2013-08-24 - Use of the word "Allah" for Christians: on September 10 the hearing for the government’s appeal
- 2013-07-18 - government on the use of the word "Allah"; the Nuncio promotes the line of dialogue