VATICAN - Another Bishop in Shanxi (Mainland China)
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – Five days after the episcopal ordination of the Coadjutor Bishop of the Archdiocese of Taiyuan, on September 21, the feast of St. Matthew the Apostle, Bishop Peter Wu Junwei was consecrated as Bishop of Xinjiang (Yuncheng). The Bishop belongs to the diocesan clergy and is 47 years old. He has been a priest for 20 years. He was approved by the Holy See for the office of Bishop of Yuncheng. The Chinese authorities have allowed his ordination.
The solemn liturgy was presided by Bishop John Huo Cheng of Fenyang, assisted by Bishop Joseph Li Shan of Beijing and Coadjutor Bishops Paul Meng Ningyou of Taiyuan and John Baptist Yang Xiaoting of Yan'an. All these bishops are in communion with the Holy Father and recognized by the government.
The ceremony was attended by at least 144 priests and 95 religious from various regions (Shanxi, Beijing, Inner Mongolia, Shaanxi, and Hubei). There were also over 2,000 faithful.
Bishop Wu was born June 27, 1963, the eldest of six brothers and sisters, among whom are a priest and a nun. He comes from a family of Catholic tradition, which counts among its ancestors the martyr St. Peter Wu Anbang. He studied at the minor and major seminary in Taiyuan and was ordained priest on December 9, 1990. He was first pastor (1991-1996), then rector of the minor seminary in Taiyuan, along with being treasurer and head of ecclesiastical affairs in the diocese (1996-2001). Finally, from 2001 to 2009, he was rector of the Montecorvino Major Seminary in Shanxi.
The ecclesiastical district of Xinjiang currently has 15,000 faithful, about 30 priests, and about 40 sisters. There are also several clinics and a community center.
Bishop Wu called on all the priests to be united amongst each other and promised to carry out his episcopal ministry in communion with the universal Church. He hopes to encourage an interest for faith and religion among the people.
The diocesan community has greatly rejoiced to learn that Bishop Wu thanked the Holy Father for his appointment, professing a sincere loyalty to the Pope and the universal Church. All are hoping that he can carry out the pastoral ministry that the Church has entrusted to him in Yuncheng with dedication and love. (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2010)
- 2013-05-23 VATICAN - The Pope prays for Catholics in China on the feast of Our Lady of Sheshan
- 2013-05-20 VATICAN - The Pope launches "Missio", an "App" for smartphones with Fides news
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - "The PMS, concrete sign for the special attention to the young Churches," Cardinal Filoni at the audience with Pope Francis
- 2013-05-18 VATICAN - The Holy Father's Speech addressed to the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-14 VATICAN - "There is need to give renewal to the missionary animation of the Churches of ancient tradition," says the President of the Pontifical Mission Societies National Directors
- 2013-05-13 VATICAN - "It is necessary to review the methods of evangelization": Cardinal Filoni at the Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-05-08 VATICAN - Annual General Meeting of the Pontifical Mission Societies, from May 13 to 18
- 2013-04-22 VATICAN - "Finding the right and peaceful paths to overcome the crisis," Pope's appeal for Venezuela
- 2013-04-18 VATICAN - Cardinal Filoni: dialogue between religions in Asia "for the common good"
- 2013-04-17 VATICAN - Pope Francis: to evangelize, baptism is enough