AFRICA/NIGERIA - 15 children kidnapped, Archbishop of Abuja speaks of “a terrible situation”
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) – "It is an unprecedented event. We are facing a terrible situation," Fides has been told by Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, Archbishop of Abuja, the capital of Nigeria, where 15 children were abducted while they were on a school bus.
The seizure took place yesterday morning, September 28, when a group of armed men stopped a school bus carrying children on their way to the Abayi International School, in the State of Abia, one of the states of the Niger Delta region, site of concentrated oil reserves in Nigeria. According to a government spokesman, the bandits have demanded a ransom of about 100,000 Euros to free the children.
"In that area, everyone is a victim of these bandits," said Archbishop Onaiyekan to Fides. "Even the Church has suffered abductions of her members. For six days, we have had heard no news of the accountant of Catholic University. However, there is no specific intention to attack the Church, as the bandits kidnap anyone, even local tribal leaders."
"It is the government's responsibility to stop the kidnappers," says the Archbishop of Abuja. "The area where this act took place is relatively limited, so I do not think it would be impossible to hunt them down. "We are celebrating 50 years of national independence. I think we should take this opportunity to reflect on how Nigeria has been administered all these years," concludes Archbishop Onaiyekan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/09/2010)
- 2013-06-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Four churches burned by Boko Haram; Mgr. Kaigama: "regional approach to defeat them"
- 2013-05-24 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "British-born Adebolajo is not a Nigerian": the Nigerian community in London react
- 2013-05-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops: "Nigeria now almost totters on the brink. Prayer is essential to restore peace"
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/NIGERIA – Bishops say: "Yes to the State of emergency but it is politicians have to work for peace,"
- 2013-05-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Secretary of CAN in Borno killed, shortly after the declaration of a state of emergency
- 2013-05-15 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am skeptical about the imposition of a State of emergency," said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-05-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Nigerian Church is with you": solidarity visit to Maiduguri of the Bishops of Jos Ecclesiastical Province
- 2013-05-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - After the clashes in Baga, displaced people are still homeless
- 2013-05-02 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The satellite images testify the heavy destruction in Baga
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Six Bishops of the Province of Jos on a solidarity visit to Maiduguri