OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Sisters of Mercy working to offer relief to residents of Carteret Islands escaping rising waters
Brisbane (Agenzia Fides) – About 1700 of the Carteret Islands' more than 3000 occupants are being forced to relocate to Bougainville in Papua New Guinea to live on 48ha of land donated by the Catholic Church as their island home disappears under the seas. Mercy Sister Wendy Flannery has launched a fundraising event for an organization known as Tulele Peisa, to bring aid to the refugees, according to a report from the newspaper of the Archdiocese of Brisbane, “The Catholic Leader.” Sr. Flannery, who has worked around the Pacific Islands region for more than 20 years, says that the funds raised will go to the organization which plans to relocate 1700 Carteret Islanders voluntarily, 10 families at a time, to three safe and secure locations on mainland Bougainville over the next 10 years. “The name Tulele Peisa (sailing the waves on our own) is most appropriate - its vision is to help the community members maintain their cultural identity and live sustainably and independently wherever they are," Sr. Flannery said. The Catholic Church at Bougainville has donated an area of land at Tinputz and is willing to consider a second land grant once the first group of houses are built and families resettled. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/09/2010)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"
- 2014-05-13 - A priest and a lay extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist have been killed
- 2014-04-24 - Pilgrimage on foot for the 80th anniversary of evangelization in the highlands of Papua
- 2014-03-01 - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed