AMERICA/MEXICO - Massacre of 72: yet another sign of social chaos, loss of respect for fundamental values, and absence of comprehensive immigration policy
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) – The Archdiocese of Mexico has condemned the brutal massacre that occurred at an estate near San Fernando, in the State of Tamaulipas, of 72 people from different countries, most likely emigrants en route to the United States, with these words: "It is further evidence of the social disorder and loss of respect for fundamental values present in some parts of the country...it shows the absence of a comprehensive immigration policy in Mexico that is coherent with the requirements of human mobility in view of a humane treatment of immigrants, as Mexico has required of the United States."
The document, sent by the Archdiocese to Fides, also reads: "This shameful tragedy must not remain unpunished, and should encourage all the American countries to take immediate steps to ensure that such deplorable acts are not repeated. The victims have given us with the sacrifice of their lives, a true message of hope and faith, refusing to cooperate with organized crime. The sacrifice of these innocent people is a universal message on the defense of values and love for their families."
In a later statement, the Archdiocese of Mexico, led by Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, said that criminal activities against immigrants were reported four years ago by the Pastoral Ministry for Social Mobility in Mexico. Now they have reached the point of "barbarism" and it asks local, state, and federal authorities, to act "urgently" to promote solidarity with all those passing through the country in search of a better life. Violent crimes against migrants had occurred even before the tragedy of San Fernando, Tamaulipas, and had been classified by international agencies as a "humanitarian tragedy," but according to the Pastoral Ministry of Care for Migrants, the authorities never took any action. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 27/08/2010)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of child labor increases in Yucatan
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - "There is less violence, but there are still no social programs," said Mgr. Gallardo
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/MEXICO - 18,000 street children exploited and at risk of physical, psychological and sexual violence
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty and unemployment for about 13 million women
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Do not use the church for political interests," warns the Bishop of Veracruz
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/MEXICO – Bishop’s appeal for dialogue in order to resolve the teachers’ strike
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/MEXICO - Today the funeral of the 24 who died in the fire, Pope Francis united in prayer for the tragedy
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Persecution against migrants increases, Mgr. Arizmendi’s complaint
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/MEXICO - Poverty is treated with a supportive economy
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/MEXICO - Four priests lose their lives in a tragic accident