AMERICA/UNITED STATES - FOCUS Catholic Campus Ministry now present on 50 campuses
Denver (Agenzia Fides) – In a recent press statement, the Fellowship of Catholic University Students, a fast-growing college campus outreach now with a presence at colleges in 28 states (including District of Columbia), announced that it has added eight more universities to its roster for the 2010-11 school year, bringing the total number of campuses served by FOCUS to 50.
Each year, FOCUS missionaries are sent in teams of four (or more) men and women to college campuses at the invitation of the local bishop and with the support of the local Newman Center or an existing campus ministry. Since it was founded in 1998, FOCUS has grown from four missionaries serving a single campus to the more than 250 who will work on the 50 campuses this year.
“We’re excited to see the increasing demand and desire for FOCUS missionaries throughout the country,” said FOCUS founder, Curtis Martin. “College students have a deep hunger for love and for the truth. Our missionaries continue to answer the call of Jesus Christ and the Church by generously offering college students the gospel and their very lives.”
The missionaries are typically recent college graduates who devote two or more years of their post-collegiate lives to reach out to their peers full-time on campus. Through genuine friendship and personal investment, FOCUS missionaries invite students into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and the fullness of life found in the Catholic Church. In response to the Church’s call for a “new evangelization,” FOCUS seeks to communicate the gospel to young adults in a dynamic and culturally relevant way. (AR) (Agenzia Fides 12/8/2010)
- 2013-05-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The suffering of immigrants has to stop!" says Cardinal Dolan
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigrants, Youth and reconstruction of Haiti, the aid priorities of the U.S. bishops
- 2013-04-03 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 1.3 billion people worldwide live on less than $ 1.25 a day
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Immigration reform, perhaps even the support of the Pope
- 2013-03-11 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Support of the African American community to the Caravan of Hope
- 2013-01-31 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - For the U.S. Bishops the parliamentary agreement on immigration reform is "an important first step"
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - In California, one child out of 5 lives below the poverty line, the phenomenon is on the rise
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - National Migration Week: to raise awareness on the 11 million undocumented persons
- 2012-12-10 AMERICA - About 300 000 children recruited for criminal activity in the world
- 2012-12-06 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "The defense of immigrants is evangelization": the Bishop of Atlanta calls for an integral reform of immigration policy