AMERICA/URUGUAY - “The game unites… and can even assume the value of an offering”
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) – “Fans, players, coaches, journalists, sponsors and symbols from many different countries meeting on the streets and the stadiums of South Africa, are rivalling the United Nations”: said a letter to local Catholics by Bishop Pablo Galimberti of the diocese of Salto in Uruguay, a copy of which was sent to Fides. The Bishop's letter, issued on the occasion of the World Football Cup matches in South Africa, is a testimony of the value of sport.
“The game is competition, risk, simulation, and the adversary is a challenge, an obstacle to overcome. No one is out of the game and we all feel part of the movement, whether in a stadium, in social action or in the solitude of every day” Bishop Galimberti, affirms and continues: “Important public games in the past had considerable social and psychological influence. They helped create civic and national sentiment. They united the community, affecting private and public life distinguishing the life style from that of 'barbarians'. In the past, while Games took place, wars, executions and even judiciary arrests were suspended. It was a time of treaty. Days dedicated in general to the gods, patrons of cities and confederations”.
Bishop Galimberti writes: “The games can also assume the value of an offering. The players compete with ability and effort and this consumption of energy, fatigue, sweat and tears can be dedicated as an offering to a loved one, or to a Superior Being. This can happen at the end of a match when the winner dedicates the victory to his mother or to God. Let's hope we will see some of this in the days to come.” (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 12/06/2010)
- 2014-09-26 - The Bishops for the upcoming election: "We dream of a country where human life and the family are worth more than a hectare of land"
- 2014-09-19 - AMERICA/URUGUAY – The meeting of the PMS of the American Southern Cone: working together for the mission Ad gentes
- 2014-09-08 - “Passionate Communicators of the Good News”: meeting for Cono sur Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-12-19 - Over 13 thousand signatures in favor of clean environment
- 2013-12-13 - The legalization of marijuana will destroy family
- 2013-10-07 - The family at the center of missionary October
- 2013-07-02 - New educational center for the prevention of child labor
- 2013-06-21 - Invitation of the Church: a vote for a referendum against abortion
- 2013-02-23 - Social inclusion and “unity in diversity”: a challenge for the Church
- 2012-11-30 - Child labor and gender discrimination for Afro-Uruguayan children