AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Arizona law on immigration promotes “hate, racism, and discrimination”
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) – The Pastoral Care of Migrants Committee of the Guatemalan Bishops' Conference expressed its firm rejection of the anti-immigrant law in the State of Arizona known as SB 1070 (see Fides 10/3/2010, 24/4/2010, 7/5/2010 ), presented on April 23 of this year and known as "the most shameful in the history of migration."
In a note sent to Fides, the Migrants Committee states very clearly that the law promotes "hatred, racism, and discrimination." This is a bill that "once again aims at criminalizing undocumented immigrants, especially those most vulnerable."
"We urgently need a comprehensive immigration reform in the United States of America, but in a humane and integral manner, which takes account family reunification and legalization of migration," says the text, which invites all people of good will to not remain silent and indifferent to the law in Arizona.
"Our responsibility as Christians is to not remain silent in the face of inhumane laws and policies that divide families and undermine human dignity," the text continues, recalling that the Fifteenth Regional Conference on immigration to be held in Tapachula , in Chiapas, Mexico, May 17-19, is the appropriate occasion for Central American governments to speak out against the criminalization of migrants and make an appeal for immigration reform to the U.S. government. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/18/2010)
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"
- 2013-01-16 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "Do not kill": the Apostolic Administrator of Izabal invites the community not to take the law into their hands
- 2012-11-19 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "The conflicts that the country experiences are still unresolved": Bishops' document on the situation
- 2012-11-10 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala : 52 victims, the plan of aid and solidarity has begun
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Earthquake in Guatemala: 48 victims and 17,000 displaced
- 2012-11-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Malnutrition, poverty and drought for thousands of women, children, indigenous and rural population
- 2012-10-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - About 2,300 children and young people missing since 2010 continue to still be absent at the roll-call