ASIA/CHINA - Diocesan Bishop of Xiamen in China ordained
Xiamen (Agenzia Fides) – On Saturday, May 8, the Feast of Our Lady of China in the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary in Xiamen hosted the episcopal ordination of Bishop Joseph Cai Bingrui of the diocesan clergy, 44 years of age and 18 years of priesthood. He was approved by the Holy See as Bishop of the Diocese of Xiamen (Hsiamen/Amoy) in Fujian, of which he had been Administrator for several years. The Chinese authorities approved his ordination.
The liturgy was presided by Bishop John Fang Xingyao, Bishop of Linyi, assisted by five brothers: Joseph Li Mingshu of Qingdao, Paul Xiao Zejiang of Guiyang, Joseph Xu Honggen of Suzhou, Joseph Cheng Tsai-fa of Taiwan, and Vincent Zhan Silu of Funing/Mindong. These are all bishops in communion with the Holy Father, except one. The episcopal consecration was attended by more than 2,000 faithful and 60 priests. The joy of the Catholics, both official and unofficial, for the gift of a new Pastor was increased by the presence of Archbishop Joseph Cheng Tsai-fa, Archbishop Emeritus of Taipei, who is a native of Xiamen and participated in the celebration together with some priests and lay faithful of Taiwan.
Bishop Cai was born September 15, 1966 into a family of long Catholic tradition. Having completed his studies at the seminary of Sheshan (Shanghai,), he was ordained August 15, 1992. Soon after the death of Bishop Joseph Huang Ziyu (April 8, 1991) he was given the leadership of the diocese as Diocesan Administrator, showing capacity for good governance.
The Diocese of Xiamen is located in the southern coastal province of Fujian. It currently has more than 30,000 faithful, mostly farmers or workers. Pastoral care is administered by 10 priests and 15 nuns.
Bishop Cai said a priority will be to rebuild the structures of the diocese, which have remained without a pastor for almost twenty years, to promote vocations, and to strengthen the training of priests and the laity. The new Bishop said he was optimistic about the path of reconciliation within the diocesan community, especially after the letter that the Holy Father sent to the Church in China in 2007, which invites all to forgiveness and reconciliation.
In entrusting Bishop Cai Bingrui to the motherly protection of Our Lady of China, the diocesan community hopes that he can carry out, with dedication and love, the pastoral service in Xiamen that the Church has entrusted to him. (Agenzia Fides 14/5/2010)
- 2013-05-21 ASIA/CHINA - "Strong in tribulation, constant in prayer": a booklet to pray for Chinese Catholics
- 2013-05-02 ASIA/CHINA - DEEPEST CONDOLENCES FROM MGR. SAVIO HON TAI FAI FOR THE DEATH OF BISHOP JIN
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/CHINA - "Lightning of the East" in the sky of the Chinese Christians
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/CHINA - The death of Mgr.Thomas Qian Yurong. A man of simple faith
- 2013-03-15 ASIA/CHINA - "Pope Francis, we are looking forward to having you in China": Chinese Catholics welcome Pope Francis with great enthusiasm and happiness
- 2013-03-13 ASIA/CHINA - The old restored church in the city of Hai Kou of the Diocese of Hai Nan consecrated and opened
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/CHINA – Itinerant priest in remote communities
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/CHINA - With faith and the Word of God, the Diocese of Bao Ding lives Lent in the Year of Faith
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/CHINA - Over two thousand faithful at the Lectio Divina
- 2013-02-25 ASIA/CHINA - Mainland Catholic community walks intensely spiritual path marked by faith and evangelisation