AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Church calls on state to defend right to life
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) – The Bishops' Conference of El Salvador is concerned that the authorities may ratify the "Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women” (CEDAW), as it provides, among other things, the legalization of abortion.
"The Bishops of El Salvador have sent a letter to President Mauricio Funes and the Legislative Assembly, requesting that the CEDAW not be ratified by the Members, as it does not only threaten the newly conceived fetus, but it could also bring serious consequences to the dignity of women," said Archbishop José Luis Escobar Alas of San Salvador, in the traditional press conference on Sunday.
Bishop Escobar Alas said that "the bishops emphasize the commitment of the Catholic Church to make every form of discrimination against women disappear worldwide, however, through proper channels and not going against the principles of family and society."
"In El Salvador, we consider the family as the primary basis of society and today, more than ever, we feel the need to strengthen youth education in values, to ensure the present and the future of our country," added the Archbishop San Salvador, who spoke on behalf of all the bishops of the nation. The ratification of CEDAW will be being discussed in the coming days at the Commission for Children and Family in the legislature. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/5/2010)
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency
- 2013-01-22 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The Vatican - observer of the Central American Integration System (SICA)
- 2012-11-16 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "United for life and for peace," the Catholic initiative to support the truce among the gangs
- 2012-10-15 AMERICA/ EL SALVADOR - "Politics is discredited, it has to be retrieved" urges Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2012-08-03 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures