AMERICA/PERU - Peruvian Bishops disapprove 'Arizona immigration law'
Lima (Agenzia Fides) – The Archbishop of Trujillo, President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Peru, Mgr. Miguel Cabrejos Vidarte, OFM., said the so called 'Arizona' Law on immigration is an attack on human dignity and human rights, which aims to expel illegal immigrants, and he urged all Peruvians to unite to reject the Bill. The Archbishop encouraged the Catholic Bishops of the United States to reject the law “for the Catholic Church in the United States the presence of 45 million Hispanics is of the greatest importance, it strengthens our faith”.
Archbishop Miguel Cabrejos underlined that the world belongs to all peoples, and that every person has the right to go anywhere, from one country to another “when this move is made correctly”. “We are all immigrants even the Americans were immigrants at first, and this should be remembered. Moreover most immigrants work well and with commitment, they make their contribution and they bring up and educate their children for the good of all humanity” he said.
The report sent to Fides Agency informs us that the President of the Peruvian Bishops' Conference made this statement at the end of a special Mass celebrated at the Santa Rosa de Lima House of Spirituality to open a meeting of Bishop delegates for the Continental Mission in Latin America, organised by the Council of Latin American Bishops' Conferences (CELAM), (see Fides 04/05/2010). (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 07/05/2010)
- 2013-05-23 AMERICA/PERU - A contribution to better understand the migratory situation
- 2013-04-25 AMERICA/PERU - Education and sports activities for street children
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/PERU - Thousands for the March for Life, rather than a law, the testimony of the population
- 2013-02-23 AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/PERU - For the first time the "Sowers of Stars" march in the streets of the Peruvian capital
- 2012-11-28 AMERICA/PERU - A program of support for more than 6000 street children and adolescents has started
- 2012-11-23 AMERICA/PERU - The first stone of the new church dedicated to San. Pedro and San. Pablo in Ichu was blessed
- 2012-11-13 AMERICA/PERU- Forced labor for 200 000 children in the region of Puno
- 2012-11-08 AMERICA/PERU - "Being able to read, listen, see": a Congress on the ethical responsibility of spectators
- 2012-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - New website guides the faithful Peruvians in the Year of Faith