AMERICA/CHILE - The Bishop and the social Commission of Linares diocese visit earthquake victims
Linares (Agenzia Fides) – “Puertas Verdes” in Costituciòn is an encampment of about 160 families, living here in tents since the earthquake and tsunami which struck this coastal town of Chile last February 27. Fides received a report from the diocesan Social Commission about a recent visit to the site by the Bishop of Linares, Mgr. Tomislav Koljatic. “It is our duty as Christians to assist those who suffer, - the report reads - and so as the Social Commission, we organised a mission to Puertas Verdes camp at Costituciòn”. The Bishop, accompanied by 40 volunteers of the local Caritas, as well as representatives of the German Bishops charity agency Adveniat, shared physically and spiritually the plight of the people suffering because of the earthquake.
“It was an opportunity for Bishop Koljatic to preach the Word of God and the people listened attentively. The Bishop encouraged them to rebuild their homes with the joy of knowing they are accompanied by Jesus and his Mother Mary. The Sacrament of Baptism was administered to 28 people, babies, children, young people and adults, all became children of God”.
The mission of solidarity, the report informed us, included also the distribution to the families of parcels of food, powdered milk, flour, oil and other non perishable items. The families were very grateful for the gifts but especially for the friendly presence, which is the real significance of mission. The visit was not limited to camp "Puertas Verdes", they also went to a camp in the devastated area of the River Maule, where about 50 families have taken shelter. Here too the volunteers distributed food and beverages, offering the families encouragement and taking note of their needs. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 05/05/2010)
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples