ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarch of Baghdad appeals for 'prayer and pardon' following Mossul murder
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) – Grief and mourning, but also hope and forgiveness are expressed in a heartfelt appeal entrusted to Fides Agency by the Chaldean Catholic Patriarch of Baghdad, His Eminence Cardinal Emmanuel Delly, after a brutal attack on 2 May on three busloads of Christian students travelling to Mossul.
Here is the Patriarch's message sent to Fides:
“Today our eyes are filled with tears. We are stunned by this attack on innocent young Christian students: two explosions in an act of brutal violence, of which the effect, only thanks to God, was not worse. We are close to the victim's families, we express sincere condolences to those who lost loved ones. We pray for the eternal repose of the souls of the dead, for the recovery of all the injured, some in serious conditions, and for the consolation of the parents. Our reaction today is one of prayer and pardon. We are all brothers and sisters, we are all children of God, and the Iraqi people are called to accept this truth and embrace it.
We pray the Lord will illuminate the minds and hearts of our rulers and also of those who bloody their hands with these and similar acts of violence, that they may convert and take the path of peace and reconciliation. Our Christian response to the violence we suffer day after day is and will always be this: certainty that the Lord is with us and that He makes Himself visible in the love and help shown to us by the Christians of the world ”. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 4/5/2010)
- 2013-05-21 ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarch Sako: there is no majority and minority in the Church
- 2013-05-03 ASIA/IRAQ - Young Christians organize markets to pay for the trip to the next WYD
- 2013-05-02 ASIA/IRAQ - A Prayer for the Chaldean Synod
- 2013-04-19 ASIA/IRAQ - Chaldean Patriarch Sako: Iraqi Christians cannot live in a ghetto
- 2013-04-17 ASIA/IRAQ - Provincial elections: 3 seats out of 447 reserved for Christians
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Patriarch: Christians are encouraged to participate in the next election, but politics is the responsibility of the laity
- 2013-03-27 ASIA/IRAQ - Meeting between representatives of the Churches on the condition and the current problems of the Christian communities
- 2013-03-13 ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Patriarchate: Church-related institutions are to be fair and transparent in the management of financial resources
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/IRAQ - New Chaldean Patriarch Sako takes possession of the See of Baghdad: "The storm will have to pass"
- 2013-02-27 ASIA/IRAQ - New Shiite militant group threatens Sunnis and Christians