Acta of the Holy See
AFRICA/TANZANIA - The Pope appoints Bishop of Same
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI, on 30 April 2010, appointed as Bishop of the diocese of Same (Tanzania), Father Rogatus Kimaryo, C.S.Sp., until now Apostolic Administrator "sede vacante et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis" of the same diocese.
Fr. Rogatus Kimaryo, C.S.Sp., was born on 30 October 1956 in Mkuu, in the parish of Rombo, diocese of Moshi. After primary school (1965-1972), he was sent in 1973 to the Franciscan Minor Seminary in Maua, Moshi, and then to secondary school in Mzumbe (1978), in the region of Morogoro. After completing two years of military service in Uganda(1978-1980), he was sent to teach History and Geography at Ifakara Secondary Government School. In August 1980 he began ecclesiastical studies with the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, at the Philosophy Seminary in Kibosho. He completed his canonical novitiate in 1982 in Magamba, diocese of Tanga, and after studying theology in Nairobi, was ordained a priest on 30 May 1987, in Arusha. Following his ordination he studied Canon Law in Rome at the Pontifical Gregorian University (1987-1990). He has taught Canon Law at the Seminary of the Holy Ghost Fathers in Tangaza (1990-1994), at the Major Seminary of the Apostles of Jesus, and also at the Marist Seminary. He returned to Rome to study for a Doctorate in Canon Law at the Pontifical Gregorian University (1994-1997). Elected by the General Chapter director of programmes for initial and ongoing formation for his Institute, for East Africa, Indian Ocean and North Africa (1998-2004), after a sabbatical year at the University of Louvain (Belgium), where he obtained a Licentiate in Religious Studies (Pastoral Care) (2004-2005), he was appointed parish priest of Kipawa parish and at the same time, Judicial Vicar of tje Inter-diocesan Tribunal, as well as a member of the Consultors of the archdiocese of Dar-es-Salaam and teacher at the Major Seminary at Segerea (2006-2009). On May 1, 2009 he was appointed Apostolic Administrator sede plena et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis of the diocese of Same (now vacant since the resignation of the bishop).
The diocese of Same (created in 1977), suffragan of the archdiocese of Arusha, has an area of 10,000sq. km and a population of 609,000, including 71,722 Catholics. There are 63 parishes, 52 priests (40 diocesan, 12 religious ), 53 sisters 16 major seminarians. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2010)
Acta of the Holy See
- 2013-01-28 - Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Niamey
- 2013-01-21 - Resignation of the Bishop of Mouila and appointment of Successor
- 2013-01-18 - Appointment of the Bishop of Thiès
- 2013-01-16 - Resignation of the Bishop of Bukoba and appointment of successor and Apostolic Administrator of Singida
- 2013-01-02 - Erection of the new dioceses of Gboko and Katsina-Ala and appointment of the first Bishops
- 2013-01-02 - Appointment of Coadjutor Archbishop of Singapore
- 2013-01-02 - Resignation of the Bishop of Udaipur and appointment of successor
- 2012-12-28 - Appointment of Coadjutor of Bùi Chu
- 2012-12-21 - Resignation of the Archbishop of Suva and appointment of Successor
- 2012-12-10 - Appointment of the Archbishop of Keewatin-Le Pas