AMERICA/CHILE - Bomb explodes damaging chapel of Good Shepherd Sisters in Temuco
Temuco (Agenzia Fides) - A note sent from the Chilean Bishops' Conference to Fides announced that Bishop Manuel Camilo Vial, Bishop of the Diocese of Temuco San Jose, visited the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, in solidarity, as they were recently affected by the explosion of a bomb which caused serious damage to their chapel, located near their house.
The Sisters reported that at dawn on April 27, they heard a loud explosion hit the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes, located in Carrera Bulnes, causing the destruction of windows, doors, and pews. Immediately after, the chapel caught fire, but fortunately the flames were extinguished by firefighters. The vibrations of the explosion also caused the breaking of windows of houses near the chapel.
According to local press, the public prosecutor is investigating an anarchist group, presumed to be the author of vandalism. According to the police report, the bomb was homemade and they also discovered bottles of petrol used to ignite the whole chapel, which is made of wood.
Bishop Camilo Vial expressed strong condemnation of the events, expressing full support to the sisters, who run a home that houses 25 children with limited resources and also work with Mapuche women. An economic assessment of damages has not yet been made. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/04/2010)
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/CHILE - "Family, public education and well-paid job," the concern of the Church
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/CHILE - Less Catholics in the country, "a fact that cannot leave us indifferent," says the Church
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/CHILE - Education should become a benefit for everyone is what the Bishop of Rancagua hopes
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile
- 2013-01-24 AMERICA/CHILE - "From the heart of Aparecida, to live as missionary disciples": a thousand young people at the First National Congress of Catholic youth
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "A Problem that affects everyone": meeting of the Justice and Peace Commission for the Mapuche conflict
- 2013-01-10 AMERICA/CHILE - "The situation of indigenous peoples requires the remedy of centuries of marginalization and injustice": Bishops on Mapuche
- 2013-01-09 AMERICA/CHILE - For the Jesuits in the Mapuche Mission "we must resolve long-standing problems for lasting peace"
- 2013-01-07 AMERICA/CHILE - The local Catholic community’s appeal, "Stop to violence in our Araucanía!"