AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Salesian Brother killed in Bogota
On March 20, the Salesian Brother Luis Enrique Pineda, from the “Saint Peter Claver” Province of Colombia-Bogotá (COB), was killed in the city of Bogotà, at 8:00 in the evening. On his way to visit relatives, Brother Luis Enrique Pineda was attacked by three thugs who robbed him at knife-point, stabbed him and left him in the street. He was able to stop a taxi and ask to be taken to the first aid emergency centre where he died. In publishing the news, the ANS Agency highlighted that the news of his death shocked the whole Province and especially the “Colegio León XIII” in Bogotà, where he had been working in recent years.
On Monday afternoon March 22 in the “Nuestra Señora del Carmen” National Sanctuary, Fr. Mario Peresson Tonelli, Provincial of Colombia-Bogotá, presided at the funeral with 45 concelebrating priests. Among those present was Fr. Vidal Niebles, Provincial of the “San Luigi Bertrando” Province of Colombia-Medellin and the Mass was attended by a large number of students, relatives and friends of the Salesian who expressed their condolences to the Salesian community.
Born on May 24, 1953 at Otanche–Boyacá, Brother Luis Enrique Pineda made his first religious profession at Rionegro, Antioquia, on January 24, 1977. To become professionally qualified in order to help young people he took a degree in Psychology, and undertook various research projects and studies to help youngsters draw up their own plan of life. He took the responsibilities entrusted to him in the Province and the work he did with the young very seriously. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2010)
- 2013-05-20 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Walking towards justice and peace," Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
- 2013-05-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Even indigenous groups celebrated the first holy Colombian
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The first Holy Colombian: "Mother Laura is not a utopia, but a concrete program"
- 2013-05-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The funeral of the priest killed will be celebrated today, the Bishop denounces the widespread violence in the country
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Another priest killed
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - A sad record to abolish: 5 million internally displaced persons
- 2013-05-02 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Every hour 2 children suffer abuse in Bogota
- 2013-04-13 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Diocese threatened by armed group
- 2013-04-08 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church calls for respect in political dialogue
- 2013-03-23 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Truce of God for Holy Week, a call for peace with small gestures