ASIA/LEBANON - Day of Solidarity with Iraqi Christians in Beirut
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) – A Mass at the Shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon on the hill of Harissa, near the Lebanese capital Beirut, closed the day of prayer and reflection entitled "The Cross in Iraq bleeds, when will the resurrection come?," organized on March 13, to remember the plight of Iraqi Christians.
The day was attended by Bishop Bshara-Raii, on behalf of Maronite Patriarch Nasrallah Boutros Sfeir; the Iraqi Embassador in Lebanon Omar Al-Barzanji; Archbishop Gabriele Giordano Caccia, Apostolic Nuncio in Lebanon; and other Christian religious leaders.
"The presence of Christians in Mesopotamia and throughout the East is a humanitarian cause," said the Syriac Catholic Patriarch Ignatius Joseph Younan III. "For this reason, we express our solidarity, which is not just words and feelings."
"Christians in Iraq are affected by fanatical extremists who seek to deprive Iraq of security, and commit their acts in the name of religion. Iraq wants nothing to do with fanatical murderers," Ambassador Barzanji said.
Bishop Caccia gave a speech quoting Pope Benedict XVI, in which he urged Iraqi Christians to persevere despite the difficulties. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/3/2010)
- 2013-05-20 ASIA/LEBANON - A harsh warning by Patriarch Rai to Lebanese politicians: build your own Country, instead of getting involved in the Syrian conflict
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/LEBANON - The refugees from Syria threaten the fragile Lebanese balance
- 2013-03-18 ASIA/LEBANON - Roman meetings between Patriarch Rai and political Lebanese leaders on the electoral law
- 2013-03-06 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Soon a summit between the Orthodox and Catholic Patriarchs of the Middle East
- 2013-02-22 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai to visit Moscow. He will meet Kirill I and Duma Chairman
- 2013-02-20 ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite Procurator Francois Eid: “orthodox” electoral law approval is instrumental
- 2013-01-29 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: the States arming the regime and opposition take on the criminal responsibility of the Syrian tragedy
- 2013-01-26 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai launches a day of action and solidarity for Syrian refugees "without distinction"
- 2013-01-12 ASIA/LEBANON - Christian leaders debate over the electoral law
- 2013-01-10 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: the influx of refugees from Syria threatens to destabilize the country