AMERICA/BRAZIL - Promoting an economy at the service of life: the objective of the Brotherhood Campaign
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) – The Brotherhood Campaign that the National Council of Christian Churches of Brazil (CONIC) began on Ash Wednesday, February 17, aims at helping society in general to build an economy that is “at the service of life." The Brotherhood Campaign 2010 is entitled "Economics and Life," with the Biblical verse: "You can not serve God and money" (Matthew 6:24) as its theme. In addition to the overall objective, there are five specific objectives proposed by the campaign. For the third time the Brotherhood Campaign is realized in an ecumenical form, as occurred in 2000 and 2005. The opening ceremony on a national level was held in Brasilia, with a press conference at the local Lutheran church and an ecumenical prayer meeting at 7:30pm at the Shrine of Don Bosco.
The objectives of the Campaign for Ecumenical Brotherhood 2010 are as follows. The overall objective is to assist in the promotion of an economy at the service of life, founded in the ideals of a culture of peace, built by the joint effort of the Christian churches and people of good will, to contribute to the common good in view of a society without exclusion.
The five specific objectives are: 1. Spread awareness in society of the importance of valuing all the people who constitute it. 2. Seek to overcome consumerism, which makes possessions more important than people. 3. Build relationships with people living nearby, with mutual understanding, overcoming of individualism and personal difficulties. 4. Show the relationship between faith and life, through the practice of justice as a constitutive dimension of the proclamation of the Gospel. 5. Recognize individual responsibilities in problems of economic life, aiming at a personal conversion. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2010)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/BRAZIL – Still victims because of the mismanagement of health care of indigenous peoples
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - India is at the center of the reflection for the Week of Prayer for the Unity of Brazilian Christians
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Nearly 800,000 people have been killed by gunfire in the last 30 years
- 2013-03-01 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The conflict over the land is also ruining our culture," say the indigenous communities
- 2013-02-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Fighting trafficking of women with international emergency telephone help lines
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A parish in the heart of the Amazon for the Redemptorist missionaries
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Protagonists of a strategic development: young people in the Fraternity Campaign 2013
- 2012-12-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
- 2012-12-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - New support to Mgr. Casaldáliga from the Chamber of Deputies