AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Awareness campaign by Justice and Peace Commission of the Archdiocese of Harare on the revision of the Constitution
Harare (Agenzia Fides) – The Justice and Peace Commission of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Harare, the capital of Zimbabwe (CCJP), is committed to spreading awareness among the population. As is written in a statement sent to Fides, the CCJP in Harare in November, held three meetings with Catholic representatives in the process of constitutional revision. The speakers stressed the need to strengthen civic education in the ecclesial community and informed the participants on the historical aspects of the constitutional review process and its progress.
Each participant received a copy of the "Citizen's Guide to the Constitutional Debate." The book's purpose is to enhance the awareness of citizens on constitutional issues and to deepen their participation in the constitutional debate. The Commission for Justice and Peace promotes the use of books throughout the Archdiocese, providing copies of the guide for the animators of the Justice and Peace Commissions of the individual parishes. Additional copies of the guide are available upon request.
Zimbabwe is experiencing a difficult political and economic crisis. The government of national unity between the party of President Robert Mugabe and the Prime Minister, Morgan Tsvangirai, continues to rule with difficulty as a result of internal disagreements. Among the most important points of the program of the government include the reform of the Constitution and the revival of the national economy. In recent months, there have been signs of improvement in macro-economic data, but the economic situation, according to experts, is still very vulnerable. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/12/2009)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - "Political divisions increase while conditions of life worsen", denounce the Bishops
- 2013-12-05 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - A new Catholic radio station
- 2013-08-05 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE – The re-election of Mugabe, who has also the majority to change the Constitution, has been contested
- 2013-08-02 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Observers of the African Union and the Church: Peaceful and regular elections,
- 2013-07-31 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - "Work for peace and for free and fair elections": appeal to the faithful of Christian leaders
- 2013-06-18 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Controversy on the dates of elections and in the meantime Christian churches organize the monitoring of the vote
- 2013-04-12 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - The Bishops of Southern Africa demand free and transparent elections
- 2012-06-19 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Human rights abuses continue despite the appeals of leaders
- 2011-12-20 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - Typhoid, dysentery, cholera and malnutrition are the causes of infrastructure insecurity
- 2011-12-01 AFRICA/ZIMBABWE - More than a million people need food aid