VATICAN - Pope greets Plenary of the Congregation of the Evangelization of Peoples and makes an appeal to international community: “that efforts will be multiplied to offer an adequate answer to the tragic problems of childhood”
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – At the close of the General Audience, on November 18, the Holy Father Benedict XVI gave a special greeting to the members of the Plenary Assembly of the Congregation of the Evangelization of Peoples, present at the audience. “"I am pleased to extend my welcome to the Cardinals, Bishops and all the members of the Plenary Assembly of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, presided over by Cardinal Ivan Dias - said the Holy Father -. Your presence gives me the opportunity to renew to each of you an expression of my gratitude for the generous efforts you make in favor of spreading the Gospel message. I entrust your plenary meeting to the protection of Mary Most Holy, Queen of the Apostles, invoking her maternal assistance on those who are involved in missionary action in every corner of the earth."
Benedict XVI also launched an appeal for children, for the World Day of Prayer and Action for Children, which is being celebrated on November 20. These are the Pope's words: “The day after tomorrow near the United Nations the World Day of Prayer and of Action for Children will be held, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the Convention on the Rights of the Child. My thoughts go out to all the children of the world, especially those who live in difficult conditions and suffer because of violence, abuses, illness, war and hunger. I invite you to join yourselves to my prayer and, at the same time, I appeal to the international community so that efforts will be multiplied to offer an adequate answer to the tragic problems of childhood. Let not the generous commitment of all be lacking, so that the rights of children will be recognized and their dignity be increasingly respected.” (SL) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2009)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency