AFRICA/TANZANIA - Spiritans celebrate their General Chapter in Africa, for the first time
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – For the first time in the history of the Congregation of the Holy Spirit, founded in 1703, a General Chapter be held in Africa. The Superior General of the Spiritans, with the consent of its board, decided in fact to host the next General Chapter, to be held from June 24 to July 22, 2012, in Tanzania. Already in the extended General Council held in the summer of 2008, it was decided that the important event would be celebrated in Africa. They examined the various possibilities: the place chosen would have to offer a certain security, to have good means of communication and transport, and not present major difficulties for entry permits. After sending questionnaires out to the eight Africanprovinces of Spiritan missionaries, it was decided that the Chapter of 2012 should take place in Tanzania. The exact location will be chosen next January.
The Congregation of the Holy Spirit, whose members are known as Spiritan Missionaries, was founded in 1703 by French Deacon Poullart des Places, who died at age 30, only two years after his ordination to the priesthood. From October 2, 2009 to the same date in 2010, the Congregation is celebrating a special year for the 300th anniversary of the death of its founder. According to the Pontifical Yearbook (Annuario Pontificio), the Congregation has 3,014 members in 720 communities. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 18/11/2009)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency