ASIA/TAIWAN - At the close of celebrations for the 150th anniversary of the evangelization, Bishop of Kaohsiung calls everyone to “open wide the missionary doors”
Kaohsiung (Agenzia Fides) - "After 150 years of effort, we have had a crop equal to 1.3 percent, and looking ahead there is the flood of 23 million compatriots to satiate Christ's hunger .... So we must be 'firm in one spirit' and to fight 'unanimously for the faith of the Gospel' (cf. Phil 1:27) ' ". Bishop Peter Liu of Kaohsiung thus expressed his most sincere hope, in view of the closing celebration of 150 years of evangelization in Taiwan, which will take place on Saturday, November 21, presided by the Special Envoy of the Pope, Cardinal Jozef Tomko. The testimony of Bishop Liu, published in the Catholic weekly of Taiwan, is an appeal, a call, an invitation to every Christian, especially the faithful to Kaohsiung, for the celebration "not to remain on the surface," and to “take on a responsible missionary commitment, opening wide the missionary doors.”
The Diocese of Kaohsiung is at the forefront on this horizon. As it is the place where the first missionaries landed on the island 150 years ago, during the celebrations for the 150th anniversary of evangelization the diocese has been intensifying training for priests, religious and women religious and lay people, with the training course "Modern Apostle of Evangelization", with the opening of the "Guo de Gang Evangelization Center" and the "St. Paul Evangelization Center," with the launching of a mission bring the lost faithful “back home;” with promoting the reading of Sacred Scripture for young people, families ...), and other activities. Thus, according to the Bishop, "the concluding celebration of 150 years of evangelization is more the start of a mission for everyone, rather than a destination that has been reached.” (NZ) (Agenzia Fides 17/11/2009)
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul