ASIA/LEBANON - Lebanon's missionary activity for Arabic-speaking countries
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) – There has been a wealth of activities in this Month of the Missions and for World Mission Sunday (WMS) in the Catholic community in Lebanon, thanks to the efforts of the Pontifical Mission Societies.
In this missionary month, a Solemn Mass was celebrated in the Cathedral of Batroun, presided by Monsignor Elias Nassar, President of the Bishops' Commission for Missionary Cooperation among the Churches. The missionary activities of the Church have also been widely promoted by the Lebanese Catholic mass media enterprise “Tele Lumiere.”
In the meantime, priests, religious, and laity in the parish are active in an awareness campaign, distributing the Message of Pope Benedict XVI for WMS, linking the event to the Church's celebration of the Year for Priests as well.
A special attention was given to the schools, where priests, religious, and teachers have created local missionary groups of both adults and children.
“Lebanon is a beautiful place for the missions in Arabic-speaking countries, precisely because all the Catholic Church's activity is carried out in Arabic, and that facilitates communication with all the surrounding countries,” the National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies, Fr. Paul Karam, told Agenzia Fides. The Catholic Lebanese community has an important apostolic and pastoral responsibility in terms of Christians in the Middle East and the Church there is still solid reference point for others. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2009)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency