OCEANIA/NEW ZEALAND - Growing Awareness of the faith and donations for October, Missions Month
Wellington (Agenzia Fides) - “In New Zealand, the faithful are increasingly more aware of the activities and goals of the Missions Month (October) and are preparing for World Missions Sunday (WMS) with fervor, while the donations for the younger Churches continue to increase.” This is what Fr. Paul Shannahan, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in New Zealand, told Agenzia Fides.
The Catholic community in the nation has received with increased interest the reflection and activities that the POM and the local Church have organized for WMS. “In every parish of New Zealand's six dioceses, WMS material has been distributed and, in particular, for missionary aid to projects in Uganda and Zambia, chosen for this year. There will be a special collection during the Masses, but already in this month of October, the donations have increased,” Fr. Paul tells Fides.
Also, the awareness campaign - thanks to the Holy Childhood Association – has focused on schools, especially elementary schools, to involve children and youth who, in their simplicity, become protagonists of the mission and even motivate the adults. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2009)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency