ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Preparations underway for World Mission Sunday, with special appeal to children and laity to get involved in the Church and Korean society
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) – Children and laity active in the missionary effort: this will be the main goal behind the events being planned for World Mission Sunday (WMS), which is October 18.
In a message sent to Agenzia Fides, the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) of Korea explained that they have been carrying out an awareness campaign in all the dioceses, parishes, schools, and associations, based upon the Message for WMS from Pope Benedict XVI and in an effort to involve even the smallest members of society and the laity in the activity of the Church and Korean society. PMS National Director Fr. Dominic Kim Hwa-Seok will celebrate the event in the parish of Ghalacdong, in the Archdiocese of Seoul, with over 3,000 faithful, who will learn of the importance of the mission on all levels.
The PMS has made great insistence on the missionary vocation of the laity, who should play a key role in the evangelization of society. The laity, in fact, is essential in the Church's mission. The mission of the lay faithful is that of “being sanctified through prayer, the sacraments, and the practice of the Gospel where they live, as a family, in the workplace, in relationship with others. The mission of the laity should above all be lived in the family,” the PMS of Korea said.
The Holy Childhood Association in Korea has also sent over 2,800 fliers to the parishes, for the children in catechism classes and schools in the area, so as to make WMS an occasion for children to evangelize among their schoolmates. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/10/2009)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency