AFRICA/ZAMBIA - “Four weeks of prayer for the missions” - PMS of Zambia proposes prayer intentions: II Synod of Africa, General Chapter of Combonian Missionaries, and Priests
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) – Zambia has also been celebrating this October dedicated to the missions with prayer and missionary activities. As a statement sent to Agenzia Fides from the National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Zambia, Fr. Bernard Makadani Zulu, explains, the four weeks of October are each dedicated to a particular prayer intention, along with its Biblical verse and a passage from the Holy Father Benedict XVI's Messages for World Mission Sunday 2009 and the Year for Priests. There are also several questions for personal reflection and an invitation to pray a decade of the Missionary Rosary for one of the continents.
Thus, in the first week of October, it is suggested that everyone pray for the Second Special Assembly for Africa of the Synod of Bishops, with a passage from the Prophet Jeremiah, with the objective “to bring all to Christ, our salvation.” Among the questions for reflection: “Who helped me to meet the light of Jesus? General Chapter of the Combonian Missionaries (in Rome) and reflect on missionary prayer and the missionary vocation.
The intention for the third week is for the Year for Priests, with an invitation to pray for priests, to support their effort “toward spiritual perfection” and that, through the intercession of Saint John Mary Vianney, all priests may live their vocation and mission with “true missionary heart and mind.” “In what ways do we support our priests? How can we promote more vocations to the priesthood lived in missionary dimension?” are the questions for reflection. Lastly, the final week of October is dedicated to the Resolutions of the Synod for Africa, with the proposal of questioning “How are you called to continue Christ's service in the world?” and “In which ways can we promote justice and peace in our communities?” The intention for the prayer is that the final conclusions of the Synod may be welcomed and put into practice by the whole Church in Africa. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 9/10/2009)
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul
- 2012-04-16 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Leaders of civil society: "It will take ten years to stop the Taliban, but the people are not with them"
- 2012-03-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The massacre of Kandahar "plays into the hands of the Taliban": Civil society calls for justice and transparency