ASIA/THAILAND - “The Asian Face of Christ”: theological symposium organised by the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conferences
Bangkok (Fides Service) - “The Asia Face of Christ” was the title of a Symposium held 10 to 15 May at the Sam Phran Pastoral Centre, a 30 km from Bangkok, organised by the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conference FABC. More than 70 participants priests, religious and lay persons listened to conferences by famous theologians from all over Asia and joined in lively discussion.
Reflection touched on different aspects of the relationship between the Catholic faith and the different religions and cultures in Asia starting from the question Jesus posed to his apostles “Who do you say that I am?” (Mt 16,15). The figure of Jesus and Christological analysis was considered in the light of Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism and traditional Asian religions.
The Symposium was introduced by Jesuit theologian Filipino Father Carlos Abesamis who illustrated the “Essential traits of Jesus”.
The symposium was organised by the FABC Office for Theological Matters comprising a group of theologians each representing one of the Conference members of the Federation. Its team di theologians has the charge of drafting special documents at the request of the Bishops and its collection of interventions published every year serves as a basis for formation and discussion for the local Churches all over Asia. The director of the Office is Bishop Gali Bali, Bishop of Guntur, India, and the executive secretary is Father Vimal Tirimanna from Kandy, Sri Lanka.
(PA) (Agenzia Fides 18/5/2004 lines 22 words 254)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished