INDIA - “Give us today our daily rice”: new Caritas India president launches campaign
New Delhi (Fides Service) - The new President Caritas India Bishop Peter Remigius, Bishop of Kumbakonam and also head of the Bishops Conference’s Commission for justice, peace and development, has shouldered his task with enthusiasm.
As executive director of Caritas India from 1982 to 1988, Bishop Remigius’ task was direct management of the organisation’s different activities all over the country. As President his work will be to identify strategies, find funds, offer guidelines. Bishop Remigus was elected by the Bishops during their last plenary assembly in Kerala in January this year. His previous experience working for Caritas and full sharing of the Caritas mission will certainly help the organisation to expand its activity.
Bishop Remigius takes the place of Bishop Jacob Thoomkuzhy who was former president of Caritas India which is known and appreciated particularly for its programmes of social rehabilitation in Orissa and Gujarat. Bishop Thoomkuzhy was elected vice president of the Indian Bishops’ Conference.
For 2004 Caritas India has embraced the initiative of the United Nations Organisation which has declared 2004 “International Rice Year”, starting a nation wide campaign “Give us today our daily rice” at all levels, and in rural and urban areas. Caritas India underlines that this cry comes not only from the poor in India, it is the legitimate demand of millions of hungry people all over the world and the international community must listen and take action”.
(PA) (Agenzia Fides 3/5/2004 lines 27 words 262)
- 2015-08-07 - Women and children are the main victims of the war in the Country
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society