Science and Medicine
EUROPE - Mutant tuberculosis virus develops resistance to drugs used to treat the disease and threatens Europe
Rome (Fides Service) - The European Union is said to be threatened by a wave of tuberculosis, according to the World Health Organisation which warns that no country is completely safe from contagion. In the world some 300.000 cases are reported, with high percentages in various former Soviet territories and one outbreak in mainland China.
A report from WHO says that the only way to stop the spread of the virus is to assign more funds for treating TB patients in affected areas .
To conduct its survey of drug resistant tuberculosis WHO observed 64,000 patients in 63 different countries. The survey showed that the highest number of TB cases were registered in the Russian Federation, Kazakstan, Uzbekistan, Estonia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ecuador, and some regions of China, while central Europe and Africa have the lowest percentages.
Nevertheless in the regions not included in the WHO survey there could be higher percentages of a new type of drug resistant TB which, if neglected, could be mortal. (AP) (17/3/2004 Agenzia Fides; Righe:19; Parole:183)
Science and Medicine
- 2009-11-05 - 748 new suspected cases of dengue fever: national mobilization against mosquitoes to fight epidemic hitting the country for the first time
- 2009-11-05 - Armed conflicts, misinformation, lack of access to basic social services, drug addicts and precarious social status of women among the causes of the increase in HIV/AIDS
- 2009-11-03 - Capuchins start hospital for islands of Fogo and Brava
- 2009-10-31 - Ethics knows neither social state nor age limit: Conference on medical and research ethics
- 2009-10-27 - For the first time, refugee children vaccinated against measles in Waziristan zone
- 2009-10-22 - Catholic Church launches campaign against AIDS
- 2009-10-19 - Van Lang Elementary School opened thanks to Italian Association Amici di Raoul Follereau (AIFO)
- 2009-09-18 - September 23-24 in Rome, European medical experts meet for a presentation of the “Health and Child” project
- 2009-09-16 - Catholic Church confirms commitment to the poor and most in need
- 2009-09-14 - At least 673 cases of acute diarrhea and/or cholera in 11 of the 34 provinces in the nation