AFRICA/DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC - CARITAS CONGO SENDS 8 TONNES OF MEDICINES TO BUNIA CITY TRAPPED IN TRIBAL FIGHTING
Kinshasa (Fides Service) – On 29 May 8 tonnes of medicine sent by Caritas Congo arrived in Bunia city. Flying with the medical supplies, purchased with funds from Caritas Germany and Trocaire Ireland, was the director of Bunia diocesan Caritas Rev. Etienne Ndeyikosi accompanied by Sister Marie Noelle, nutrition expert from Caritas Kisangani.
For several weeks Bunia, the main city of the Ituri region in north east Congo, has been the scene of fierce fighting between Lendu and Hema tribes The violence caused thousands to abandon the town. At present Caritas Bunia assists about 40,000 people at a collection point at Muhito about 12 km north of the city.
To relieve the critical situation of people remaining in Bunia the Church all over the country is joining in a great effort of solidarity. Caritas Goma has started collecting food and clothing to send to Bunia, while within days Caritas-Development in Kinshasa will send a mission to Ituri to sustain the work of local structures.
After a precarious cease-fire was reached on 27 May, some are beginning to return to the city, mostly those whose homes were not damaged or destroyed.
In a press statement Congo Caritas affirms “the present security conditions are such as to permit the return of humanitarian workers to Bunia, in the hope that the United Security Council will decide as soon as possible to send an international peace-keeping force to Ituri.” LM (Fides Service 30/5/2003 EM lines 24 Words: 277)
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure