ASIA/INDONESIA - www.hampapua.org: Justice and Peace Commission of Jayapura Catholic diocese opens web site of to promote respect for human rights
Jayapura (Fides Service) - To promote respect for human rights in an area afflicted by fighting between the regular Indonesian army and separatist movements, the Justice and Peace Commission of Jayapura Catholic diocese in western New Guinea (Irian Jaya), Indonesia, has opened its own web site
www.hampapua.org, has the backing of the Bishop of Jayapura, Bishop Leo Laba Ladjar a member of the Order of Friars Minor. It offers visitors a wealth of information, past and present, facts and figures on situations of violence in particular violation of human rights on the part of Indonesian soldiers since 1960, when western New Guinea was annexed as a province of Indonesia.
The web site was made possible thanks to the encouragement and support of NGO Franciscans International accredited to the United Nations which signalled the situation of violation of human rights in Irian Jaya for the attention of the United Nations Commission for Human Rights in 2002 and 2003.
Jayapura diocese is one of four Catholic circumscriptions in Irian Jaya. The aim of the Justice and Peace commission is to monitor the local situation and work to for reconciliation in the area.
(PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/2/2004 lines 22 words 214)
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished