AFRICA/BURUNDI - MURDERED NUNCIO ARCHBISHOP COURTNEY COMMEMORATED TOMORROW A MONTH AFTER TRAGIC AMBUSH, WITH A SOLEMN MASS IN BUJUMBURA CATHEDRAL
Bujumbura (Fides Service). There is still deep grief all over the country for the violent killing of Archbishop Michael Aidan Courtney, papal nuncio in Burundi, killed in an ambush on 29 December 2003 (see Fides 30 December 2003, http://www.fides.org/eng/news/2003/0312/30_1927.html and Fides 2 January 2004, http://www.fides.org/eng/news/2004/0401/02_1932.html).
In a declaration released to Fides, Archbishop Christophe Pierre, Nuncio in Uganda, at presently acting person at the Bujumbura nunciature, said this about the late Archbishop: “I have been here in Bujumbura since the day after the murder of Mgr Courtney and I have witnessed the deep grief and immense suffering which the tragic event caused throughout the country. Archbishop Courtney had built up intense relations with the people; everyone was enchanted by the simplicity with which he addressed people and his tireless efforts for peace. I can say that I have witnesses a splendid example of the work of a Nuncio. Now our prayer is that the nation will continue along the path of peace for which Mgr Courtney worked so hard, so that a new Burundi may be born where its people can live in peace and harmony”.
Tomorrow, 29 January, a month since the tragedy, there will be a Mass in Bujumbura Cathedral presided by the Bishop of Bujumbura Evariste Ngoyagoye and concelebrated with Archbishop Christophe and Mgr Luigi Travaglino, ad interim at Bujumbura nunciature pending the arrival of the newly appointed Nuncio, Archbishop elect Paul Richard Gallagher. The Mass will be attended by the President Domitien Ndayizeye, several government ministers and the diplomatic corps. Large crowds are expected to gather. (L.M.) (Fides Service 28/1/2004, lines 27 words 288)
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty