ASIA/ EAST TIMOR - The Year of St Paul in a community where the Apostle of the nations is a familiar figure
Dili (Agenzia Fides) – St Paul is a familiar figure for the Catholic Church in East Timor. Dili Major Seminary is named after Saints Peter and Paul, there is a parish of St Paul and a Catholic Foundation for Education inspired by the Apostle of the nations: Fides was told by the national director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in East Timor Jesuit Fr. Filomeno Jacob.
“ The opening of the Year of St Paul was celebrated in all our communities with great enthusiasm as an important event for all areas of come Pastoral”, said Fr. Jacob.
In a Message for the year of St Paul addressed to Catholics and the civil society Bishop Ricardo Da Silva of the diocese of Dili, said the little Church in East Timor will live and celebrate the year in unity with the universal Christ and strive for a deeper understanding of the letters written by “the greatest missionary of all times ”, as the Holy Father Benedict XVI described St Paul.
This year the Church in East Timor is also celebrating the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Major Seminary in a Dili, where 75 seminarians are preparing for the priesthood.
(PA) (Agenzia Fides 2/7/2008 righe 24 parole 249)
ASIA/ EAST TIMOR
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"